New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How often should i put my iMac to sleep?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SexyHolly

SexyHolly is on a distinguished road

Am I supposed to let my iMac go to sleep everytime I am away from it or can I just let a screensaver run? Thanks, Holly
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyHolly
Am I supposed to let my iMac go to sleep everytime I am away from it or can I just let a screensaver run? Thanks, Holly
I'm pretty sure it's like any other computer. They don't actually *need* to sleep, but some would say that it saves energy overall if they do. I only put my Mac to sleep if I want to see the little light "breathe".
QUOTE Thanks
warrenbert

I like the sleep feature on Macs. It actually works; I could never get it to work quite right on my MS machines. It always took too long to get things going. With my Mac, I just hit the power button and when I get back, I just press the "any key" and everything is good to go.

Official Sleep Instructions
QUOTE Thanks
zakatov

I put my comp to sleep every time i step away for more than 10 minutes.

So far, 100% wake-up rate after 2 years

:heart: osx
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Good rule of thumb is if your gona be away for an hour or better put it to sleep. Anything under that let the screen saver take over. I would say if your going to be away more than 6 hours just shut it off. Doesn't take that long to boot back up and you will save some on electric bill.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I usually put mine to sleep at night and when I'm at work. I do it more for the whole saving energy/environmentally friendly thing. Many people leave their Macs on all the time without a problem.

So really it's more of a personal preference.

But never shut it off unless you have to for some reason. Macs are designed to not be shut off, rather they should just be put to sleep.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
warrenbert

Hi schweb:

Why shouldn't Macs be shut down? I hear a lot of hype why Macs are better and all, but if I new that they required constant power I would have had second thoughts.

1) I can't find any advice from Apple recommending constant power-on or sleep.
2) I can't find any evidence that people who shut down regularly are having any higher incidences of problems than people who leave them on.

I've never had any problems from using the power switch, PC or Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
gdestiny

i don't think it matters anymore w/ modern computer systems (Mac and PC). i turn my mac mini off if i'm not going to use it for 1 hr or more at home. when i bring it to work, i usually leave it on from mon to fri and just turn off my LCD when i leave work.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenbert
Hi schweb:

Why shouldn't Macs be shut down? I hear a lot of hype why Macs are better and all, but if I new that they required constant power I would have had second thoughts.

1) I can't find any advice from Apple recommending constant power-on or sleep.
2) I can't find any evidence that people who shut down regularly are having any higher incidences of problems than people who leave them on.

I've never had any problems from using the power switch, PC or Mac.
Sleep mode uses almost no power anyway so it's about the same equivalent powerwise to shutting it off.

Sleep of course is advantageous in that you don't have to wait for the machine to boot back up and load everything again.

QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

There should be little harm in shutting off the system, however there is little advantage to it either. One thing to keep in mind if you do shut down or sleep your system is that you might need to do the scheduled maintenance manually as needed.

If you do leave it up all the time with a screensaver I would not use a processor intensive one though.
QUOTE Thanks
Jefe3223

Can the computer run it's automated tasks (the ones @ like 2am) while the thing is asleep? I've never actually thought about it much.
QUOTE Thanks
warrenbert

Yes, I have heard that there are some legacy Unix-derived tasks that are set to run at night. Do they do any good? Will they run during "sleep"? Is it better to just run Onyx or something?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

No, they won't run while the machine is asleep. I use Cocktail and run them every so often just to keep things running smoothly.

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

On computers with LCD screens, (iMacs, PowerBooks, iBooks, G5 towers with flat screens) the backlight in the display has a limited life. Putting these machines to sleep turns that backlight off, in addition to saving energy. Since you can't (easily) replace the display on an iMac or laptop when it dies, it's a good idea to prolong the life of that neon bulb as long as possible
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
On computers with LCD screens, (iMacs, PowerBooks, iBooks, G5 towers with flat screens) the backlight in the display has a limited life. Putting these machines to sleep turns that backlight off, in addition to saving energy. Since you can't (easily) replace the display on an iMac or laptop when it dies, it's a good idea to prolong the life of that neon bulb as long as possible
True, but that is why you have the option of putting the monitor to sleep after a specified amount of idle time. I believe that should turn off the backlight. Or you could lower the brightness to 0.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Secret Information?!?!? | How do you generate assembler listings in GCC? »