New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Question about Connecting Mac to Linksys Router

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Carmine782

Carmine782 is on a distinguished road

Hello, I have a question, I have 3 computers in my house. One of which i want to replace with a MAC. So therefore i will have two PC's and 1 MAC on my wireless Network. I have a linksys router now and it works great. My Question is can i use that linksys router for the mac? I will still need to have other two PC's connect to the router at the same time as the MAC, please let me know if that is possible or if i need additional equipment.

Thanks!
Carmine
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

In a word, yes. Macs use the same 802.11 WiFi technology as Windows machines.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
wmprice1240

wmprice1240 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB

I would add one thing to cwa107 in that you should make sure the firmware of the router is up to date. You can get the latest firmware from Linksys/Cisco's website.

Having said that, yes, everything should be fine.
QUOTE Thanks
wcarr3

wcarr3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad

Yep. Connected your Mac should be a piece of cake, easier than connecting a Windows PC if you ask me. I have 2 Windows desktops (via ethernet), 1 Windows laptop (wireless), an i-Mac (via ethernet) and a Macbook Pro (wireless) all connected to my Linksys router with no problems. If you don't already just make sure you have your wireless security settings in place.
QUOTE Thanks
jtcannonball

jtcannonball is on a distinguished road

Yeah it works fine, just type password if your encrypted and that's that. Apple wireless cards in MacBooks are the same standard as pc-cpu's but actually pick up weaker signals much better. My reccomendation though would be if you need a new router or want faster speeds get the airport extreme. That router is amazing. Plus you can attach a hardrive to it and use as a wireless system for time machine. And to set it up on a mac is the easiest wireless setup I have ever done, but the clincher for me is the lack of keep up and work to keep it running. Haven't touched it sense.

So yes lynksys will work fine, sorry but I fell in love with the apple router and I've been selling the crap out of them now at work (best buy) ever since. A little more money but holy cow they are flipping sweet.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How bad is the 9600GT? | New to Mac, Easy/cheap way to pick one up? »