New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Switched from Firefox to Safari

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

This isn't another one of those lame FF or Safari threads! I've had my fill of them. This is about some observations on switching from FF to Safari.

I really miss the Google Toolbar, so I've done a couple of things to soften the blow. First I added a Folder in the Bookmarks Bar containing links to all the Google special search pages; images, products, groups, etc. Next, I added a java script Bookmark to resize to full screen when I wish. Then, I added a java script Bookmark to check the current web page on Site Advisor. Finally, I added Stumbi to my Menu Bar. Whew! I've almost got my FF functionality back. I'm still a bit nervous about the switch, so I'm running BookDog to keep my FF up to date with my Safari web browsing just in case I have to switch back.

So is anyone else doing this, I mean trying to achieve FF like functionality with Safari add ons and tweaks? If so, tell me about it. Maybe I've missed something good. Thanks!!!
QUOTE Thanks
drunken

drunken is on a distinguished road

hey george can you explain the java bookmark resize to full screen please?

this is one thing i miss in safari

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

Sure drunken. Just Add a new Bookmark to your Bar, then right click on it. In the Edit Address field put in:

javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.a vailWidth,screen.availHeight);

That's all there is to it. Safari will run the java script when you click on the Bookmark link. It's not a toggle, so use the "+" radio button to get back to the smaller screen size when you want.
QUOTE Thanks
drunken

drunken is on a distinguished road

george thanks so much for the reply but i cant get it working

javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.a vailWidth,screen.availHeight);

the space is making this line of code come up like so in safari bookmark address

javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.a %20vailWidth,screen.availHeight);

The %20 being the space in the line of code.

I took the space out like so :

...hmm just realised however I type it out here it still puts in a space in after 'screen.a' anyway - I guess that is what happened to your post.

I still can't make it work either way - suggestions please?

thanks if you answer
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

You know, I'm sorry about that. I noticed that pesky space, and tried to get rid of it. There is no space in the javascript that I type into the post entry window. Then when I go to post it, the space appears. It's downright spooky!

Try this, I "washed" the text through textedit set to plain text:

I just posted this, and the space is back! Try these two options:

1.Paste it in, then go to Show All Bookmarks, and Edit the address by taking out the space.

2. Create a new Bookmark, and hand type the java script into the Address field.

Let me know.
QUOTE Thanks
SCV

SCV is on a distinguished road

I don't understand why are you going through all this trouble to get Safari to work when you can just use firefox and it works without all the hassle.....
QUOTE Thanks
Gandalph

Gandalph has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 8 GB Ram.

I agree with SCV's comment. FF is running beautifully on Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

Psst! "This isn't another one of those lame FF or Safari threads! I've had my fill of them."

Anyone have any idea why that stupid space keeps showing up in the posted javascript?

I'm still interested to read if anyone is using other add ons or tweaks to increase the functionality of Safari.
QUOTE Thanks
fade

use the code tag..

Code:
javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Files, Folders and such | Do I have to buy MS Office for Mac? »