New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mac Newbie Need Questions Answered

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jap_master

jap_master is on a distinguished road

hi there peeps, i have just brought an 15" Macbook Pro. Not only this is my first Mac, this is my first laptop. I have always been an fan is desktops but i decided to have an change. What made made me change to mac is Windows Vista is NAFF, i have tried the new window 7 trial and that is just as worse.

So the questions i want to ask is:

1. If i leave my laptop to on charge all the time, will it damage the battery? (i.e battery life not as good, etc) or it will be OK?

2. What is better to use to back up the Mac, the Time Machine? or SuperDuper? or Both?

3. Is the the Time Machine and SuperDuper capable of backing up other external HD?

thanks for all your help

ian
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

1. You should always cycle the battery once a month at least. So the answer here is Yes. If you leave it plugged in for ever the battery will end up with poor charge.

2. Personal preference, i Like Time Machine because it is so easy to use and nonintrusive ...

3. Yes, you need to select it though. Not so sure about SuperDuper.

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
jap_master

what do you mean cycle the battery? chargeing you mean?
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

Yeah, to keep the battery in shape you will have to completely drain it and charge it up again without interruption. Preferably once a month or so.

If you constantly leave the charger plugged in you may loose some of the battery capacity over time. But if you keep it in shape according to the instructions above it will last longer.

This can be applied to all laptops. Not just for the macbooks.

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
jap_master

i know in the mac information you can check the battery condition, but i want to know this there any other programs out there which also check your battery condition?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Setting up hotmail in mail | Questions about buying a Mac »