New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

thinking of switching....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

m-memphis

I'm a big PC user but I'm thinking of giving mac a try. I've also wanted to get a laptop to be more mobile. A good buddy of mine is getting a ti powerbook and is willing to sell me his iBook. It's a iBook G3 600 (OS X.3.8), 256 ram, 20GB HD, combo drive (CD-RW/DVD), airport, 14.1" screen. He's asking $550.
Is this a good price?? and would this be a good 'starter' mac?? I'm just looking to do internet, IM, photoshop, watch movies, etc. on it....it would be a 'secondary' computer.

Thanks,
Mike

FYI, currently running a home build desktop (Athlon 1.33, 1GB ram, 90GB HD, 128MB Nvidia)
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

thats an ok price, Id get it as low as you can though. the specs are good for a starter mac, though I'd recommend adding more ram if possible, but that should be enough, also an external hd, 20gb isn't a lot of space.
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

I think that iBook would be sluggish for photoshop. And might have some minor slowdowns when running multiple apps. It is a good starter machine, but i high recommend you upgrade to 512 MB of ram. It will probably feel about the same speed as your PC right now.

edit: aww beat me to it macman
QUOTE Thanks
JRV

JRV will become famous soon enough

recenlty bought an iBook and it wasn't long before it became my primary computer. i would say never buy second hand computers, especially ones that are so out dated. just save up some more cash and buy a new one. you will regret buying that ibook for $550.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun89
I think that iBook would be sluggish for photoshop. And might have some minor slowdowns when running multiple apps. It is a good starter machine, but i high recommend you upgrade to 512 MB of ram. It will probably feel about the same speed as your PC right now.

edit: aww beat me to it macman
I still use Photoshop on my PowerBook G3 333Mhz and it runs fine with 384MB of RAM. Sure Photoshop is faster on my 1Ghz G4s, but as long as you max the RAM, Photoshop should run just fine.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV
recenlty bought an iBook and it wasn't long before it became my primary computer. i would say never buy second hand computers, especially ones that are so out dated. just save up some more cash and buy a new one. you will regret buying that ibook for $550.
This is true. If you are willing to spend over $500 on a Mac, you could just get a Mini. Then you would have a new and current machine. Plus, if you already have a spare monitor, USB keyboard and USB mouse it would not make sense to pay $500 for a used Mac that is a couple years old. Yet if you are in the market for a laptop, I would think $550 is a good deal for the iBook with all the specs you listed.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
JRV

JRV will become famous soon enough

i still say avoid that ibook. if you buy it for $550 you'll still need to upgrade the ram and compared to your current machine it will seem incredibly slow.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Application launch failure | just got my new mac mini »