New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mac Disk Utility - Not Displaying NTFS/Free Space

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cool.aquarian

cool.aquarian is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am dual booting Mac and Windows(through Bootcamp) on my Macbook.
I bought an External portable Drive recently.
I dont plan to use it with Time Machine. I only want to do manual Backup.
I decided to create three partitions:
1. 30 GB - FAT32
2. 30 GB - NTFS
3. 240 GB - HFS+

So, to make these partitions, I first used Disk Utility and created the following Partitions using GUID Partition Scheme(Not MBR):
1. 28.1 GB FAT32
2. 30.0 GB Free Space(Unformatted)
3. 240 GB Mac OS Extended(Journaled)

After that I could see the two mounted partitions 1 & 3 in both Disk Utility and Mac OSX Finder and was able to use them. The free Unformatted Space was not showing in Disk Utility.

Then I booted into Windows and created NTFS Partition from the 2nd Block of Free Unformatted Space, and was able to access both Partition 1 & 2 in Windows Explorer.

Now after I boot back into Mac, I see that the NTFS Partition is not showing up in Finder. It is also not showing in Disk Utility.

Here are screenshots of the Disk Partition in OSX Disk Utility and Windows Disk Management:

So, in short there are 3 things I want to ask:
1. Why is Free Unformatted Space not showing in Mac Disk Utility(See below screenshots)?
2. Why is the Windows Formatted NTFS also not showing up?
Could the above be due to GUID Partition scheme I used ?
3. What is the last 126 MB Space showing at the end in Windows Disk Manager For?

Please help me with these questions of mine...
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Try formatting the drive on windows as 3 FAT partitions. Someone at macoshints has seemed to it it working that way, I would also try having the HFS partition first

macosxhints.com - Create an HFS+/NTFS/FAT32 external drive

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
cool.aquarian

cool.aquarian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
Try formatting the drive on windows as 3 FAT partitions. Someone at macoshints has seemed to it it working that way, I would also try having the HFS partition first

macosxhints.com - Create an HFS+/NTFS/FAT32 external drive
I got the NTFS to show up in OSX.
Creating partitions in Mac did not matter.
Unchecking the Quick Format checkbox when creating partition did the trick(even though it took long time for Full Format).
Also realized that GUID Partition Scheme does take away 200MB at beginning of Disk and 128 MB after HFS Partition.

Is GUID good, or shoud I revert to the same old MBR partitioning?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

All partition schmes take a bit of space out for the partition tables.

I would say, ifs its working now, leave it be

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Microsoft Outlook 2007 Alternative | Mac newbie - virus & malware query. »