Specs:
    iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
    Two Questions from a Mac Newbie
    One of my questions is qhat exactly is Quicksilver useful for? I got it but I don't really get what to do with it. :dummy: My next question is if I reformat or upgrade my OS, can I still use the same serial number I used for my Microsoft Office? Thanks in advance.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    1. Quicksilver is a really cool app to help you open/close/move/delete/copy/mail files/documents/text fragments/address data .....

Basically quicksilver scans your system for data (plug-ins are available for more types of data such as address book data, iTunes integration etc...).

When you hit your hotkey combination the QS window pops up.
    Let's say I want to start Disk Utility: I just hit my hotkey, type in "Di" and QS has found it. Hit enter and Disk utility will be launched.

But that's not all: Let's say I want to find a video I downloaded in my downloads directory and move it to the movies directory. I hit the hotkey, enter the name of the video and then press tab. That brings me to the actions dialogue: Enter what action you want to perform (Move To/ Copy To/ Delete/ Email To/ Open With) and then Tab again to enter the destination.

So with Quicksilver you can find files really quickly AND do a ton of other stuff.

2. Yes you can use the same serial with Office.

Thud
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich
    1. Quicksilver is a really cool app to help you open/close/move/delete/copy/mail files/documents/text fragments/address data .....

Basically quicksilver scans your system for data (plug-ins are available for more types of data such as address book data, iTunes integration etc...).

When you hit your hotkey combination the QS window pops up.
    Let's say I want to start Disk Utility: I just hit my hotkey, type in "Di" and QS has found it. Hit enter and Disk utility will be launched.

But that's not all: Let's say I want to find a video I downloaded in my downloads directory and move it to the movies directory. I hit the hotkey, enter the name of the video and then press tab. That brings me to the actions dialogue: Enter what action you want to perform (Move To/ Copy To/ Delete/ Email To/ Open With) and then Tab again to enter the destination.

So with Quicksilver you can find files really quickly AND do a ton of other stuff.

2. Yes you can use the same serial with Office.

I just started using Quicksilver last night....it definitely makes it easier to open programs and documents using the keyboard. And when you browse to a picture folder, it shows you thumbnails.

I was kind of concerned about its memory footprint though. I think at one point it was taking up 25 or 30MB which seemed a bit much (I have 512 in my system). But mostly it will use around 15MB of RAM.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
    You made me a bit concerned so I took a look and Quicksilver uses 0% CPU when I am not using it and I saw max 10% while I was using it, so that definitely alleviated my concerns there

Thread Information