New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Is it possible to block a specific URL ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kimberly24

kimberly24 is on a distinguished road

I know there's a Terminal command to block entire domains (sudo nano /etc/hosts), and it works perfectly, but is there any way to block only a specific URL address? For exemple could I block a certain URL leading to a video on youtube without affecting the accessibility to any other video on youtube.com ?

I,ve done many searches on the net (openDNS, Terminal commands, PithHelmet and so on...) still cant find a solution!

Thanks for your help guys!
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

I can't guarantee any of these would work - but take a look at:
MacUpdate Search

specifically:

CutX
SafeEyes
ContentBarrier
K9 Web Protection (it's at the bottom of the page, only one that I see that's free so far)

Hope this helps!

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

Even the built in Mac Firewall will do that. Use Parental Controls.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

Go into parental controls, and add as many urls that you need to block.

Flickr

Last.fm
Si, hablo Español. Oui, je parle français. Yes, I speak English.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light

unfortunately, that process as far as I can tell - will block full domains - so it would block all of youtube, not just a specific video within youtube which is what the op wanted. I experimented with the parental controls and try to limit access to adult websites automatically with customization and adding a specific video within youtube - ie: one where after the last '/' you have watch?v= and then the video identifier (I chose a random video identifier that I found on youtube) - logged into the "protected" account and it wouldn't let me browse to youtube at all.

The firewall will also be brute force blocking all of youtube (or specific youtube servers - if you could find out the ip addresses of the video hosting servers (good luck) but then you would block out a ton of videos not just a specific one). All of the videos for youtube are stored on youtube servers so you can't just block a specific video without blocking its link, which is referenced through the watch?v= code in the address bar.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
kimberly24

Nethfel, what you are saying makes sens. And that would be why I cant find any solution!!

I think I know the answer, but do you think it would be the same for a specific profil on myspace.com?
For exemple, could I block
Code:
http://www.myspace.com/sebastientellier
without blocking any other profile?

In the meantime I'll take a look at your previous suggestions and let you know if any of them works!
Quote:
CutX
SafeEyes
ContentBarrier
K9 Web Protection (it's at the bottom of the page, only one that I see that's free so far)
Thanks a lot to everyone who's trying to help! It's very appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Yeah, you're in the same situation there as you're trying to block one specific full URL rather then just an entire domain. Entire domains are easy to block (as mentioned before with firewalls or with parental controls) it's when you want to just block a given page within a domains website that it becomes hard.

I can't guarantee that any of those packages will do the job for what you want, but at least it's something to try.

Good luck, I hope a solution will be able to be found (without bruteforce blocking entire domains)!!

QUOTE Thanks
kimberly24

From the entire list of softwares you suggested me, there's only one who let me block a URL, and guess what? it's the only one that's free!

K9 Web Protection allows me to block URL and it's very easy to set up.

Now the NEW problem with this soft is that it will display a page saying "K9 filtering alert, this page has been blocked because it is in your computer's "Always Block" list" whenever I try to access a prohibited website.

I guess this normally isn't a problem, but the teen I'm trying to protect here is not stupid and he'll know who to blame if he sees that kind of message!

i wish k9 was more like OpenDNS who let us manage what exactly is shown in case a page is filtered.

It stinks! I was so close to solving the problem!
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Well, you may want to check with the authors website / support area / forums if they have any and see if there is a way to change the message to something like "this page can not be found" and display a 404 error or use a 410 error code (gone and not going to be available in the future code).

Of course, you could always take the traditional parent route - "you are my child, you are living under my roof and needing to follow my rules. There are some things you are just not allowed to view. Once you're on your own, pay for your own internet, buy your own computer, pay your own rent, etc. then you can decide what you can and can't see."

One other thing you may want to try is to make sure you can't use a proxy to get around the filter.

QUOTE Thanks
kimberly24

Quote:
Well, you may want to check with the authors website / support area / forums if they have any and see if there is a way to change the message to something like "this page can not be found" and display a 404 error or use a 410 error code (gone and not going to be available in the future code).

Of course, you could always take the traditional parent route - "you are my child, you are living under my roof and needing to follow my rules. There are some things you are just not allowed to view. Once you're on your own, pay for your own internet, buy your own computer, pay your own rent, etc. then you can decide what you can and can't see."

One other thing you may want to try is to make sure you can't use a proxy to get around the filter.
I already contacted the K9 support team and got that usual "your comments are really important to us, we will look into blah blah blah".

I've also already tried the traditional parent route but while monitoring with K9, I know it didnt have any impact! If I ever get to block the URLs I want, I might get him very frustrated, but I hope "he'll simply get over it". Long discussions are just bringing us back to the same old topics and as you can see, it doesnt get any better ! Sometimes I think it's no big deal, but my conscience is not at rest! So I'll keep on searching and hope someone brings me a step-by-step guide on how to reach my goal!

The proxy option is what I'm currently looking into. It's really complicated. I found different informations leading to different topics, but no "easy to do/step by step" kind of guide! Apache, Privoxy and the Terminal are not part of my computer skills. So I'll keep searching and hope I find a page that simply brings me to "how to block or redirect a specific URL" without having to go through a huge document that gives us details about things I dont need!

I should have taken programming courses at school!

Oh and by the way I use Safari 4 and Mac Os 10.4
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You might want to take a look at using OpenDNS and setting up a free account. After setting up a free account, you can go into settings and block an individual URL, server, domain, or just about anything else.

Go to OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet and read up on what's available. Also this week's Brian Livingston's Windows Secrets Letter describes in detail how to set up a free account and what can be done with settings once your account is active.

At the same time you can also download a free IP address updater for Mac OS X which will keep your DNS settings and IP address up to date with the servers.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
kimberly24

My nightmare is over! Finally found an easy (but not free) solution!

Let me share with you guys the results of my tests!

OpenDNS, PithHelmet, the famous "etc/hosts" command on the Terminal, Northern Softwork's Hostal, Mac Os X's Parental Control and most of the traditionnal Parental control softwares ONLY ALLOW YOU TO BLOCK ENTIRE DOMAINS.

If you have young kids that you wish to protect agains general categories of websites or specific domains (but not specific URL or subdomains), all these previous softs I mentionned will do the job!

BUT

If like me you need to block a specific URL (for exemple, just one specific page on myspace.com, BUT NOT all the pages on myspace.com), you can install K9 Web Protection (for free!). Be aware that when rying to access a URL you volontary blocked, a "K9 filter alert" will be displayed, and you cannot change,redirect, or personalize that displayed page.

FINALLY

If like me you need an application that will be completely transparent when blocking a website, an application that lets you block either categories of websites, subdomains or very specific URL's, you need...

Content Barrier (Mac or PC, 30 day free trial available, or else you'll have to buy it!)

That soft is amazing, the only place you can locate it on your computer is in "My application". When accessing a prohibited URL, it lets you choose where to redirect it (in my case, for prohibited myspace.com/exemple, is automatically redirected to myspace.com) which simply looks like the page doesnt exist or a bug, or something weird but for which my teen cant blame me!

There are also many features to receive printscreens every 1 minute or 1 hour of what's happening on your computer, you can also schedual whatever you want or dont want your kid/teen to do, it's very easy to set up, and it's got more features than I'll ever need to use!

There's also one complicated/free way to accomplish this, but be prepared to read and get headaches before you ever reach your goal! Just in case you want to follow that trail here's what I had gathered :
macosxhints.com - How and why to use the Apache proxy server
DansGuardian - True Web Content Filtering for All
Upside-Down-Ternet

Thanks to everyone who offered me their help and suggestion!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Network Printer | Post #1 »