Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Specs:
    iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
    Tiger in April?? NOOO!
    Well I just switched froma PC to an iMac G5 a couple days ago, and I just found out that Tiger will be coming out in like the next month. This is so depressing... well anyway, is there a way to keep the Office 2004 I have and not buy another one if I upgrade my OS to Tiger? I think I should have waited a couple of more weeks before buying this iMac... and is it bad if I don't upgrade to Tiger? Can I just stay with Panther? What will be the downside with having an OS that is old????? Please help me! neye:

Specs:
    iPad 32 GB 3G
    Panther will continue to be just as good after Tiger comes out as it is now.

I don't see why Office would not work just fine on Tiger, MS has access to the Tiger beta builds just like all the other Mac developers.

The only down side you have to face is that if you stay with Panther you don't get all of the cool new features that Tiger is going to have, otherwise, no problems.

what new features will it have? i have to say that this bums me out too. whats the OS turnover rate for macs?

Specs:
    Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
    Watch this stream to watch Tiger's features in action with Phil Schiller. Definitely watch this stream, because Phil goes through most of the great feature in this stream:
    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/expo04/

Or you may want to watch the video stream below of Tiger's features with Steve Jobs:
    http://stream.apple.akadns.net/

Watch them both. The first one is the best, you'll have to seek a bit to get to it!

Edit: This preview of tiger below is better than the first one:
    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/wwdc04/

Specs:
    MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
    chances are that apple will allow a tiger upgrade for new macs bought with in the past few months for like 19.99, thats what they have done in the past.

Specs:
    iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
    When I was talking about Microsof Office, I was asking if there was a way to use the Microsof Office I have that I activated with a serial number, or would I need to buy new serial number?

Specs:
    Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
    It should work fine and the same goes with anyother software on your mac. But if there are any issues, the software manufacturers should be able to fix them.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite
    chances are that apple will allow a tiger upgrade for new macs bought with in the past few months for like 19.99, thats what they have done in the past.
    whats better, buying Tiger and doing a fresh install or getting the upgrade or doesn't it matter?

Kokopelli
    EDIT: Wiped original post because it was largely pointless.

An upgrade should be fine. But if you do not have much on your system yet I prefer doing a fresh install. I plan on installing to a FW drive and migrating settings from my internal. If everything works out well I will CCC he firewire drive over the internal one.

i just watched the presentation on Tiger and i have to say it doesnt seem like a big deal. i wouldn't buy and then have to install and recustomize my mac for what i just saw. doesn't seem worth it.

Kokopelli
    I agree to a certain extent, though keep in mind you can upgrade your current install. I am just cautious by nature and have a butt load of hardware.

Tiger has some nice features and performance improvements but if you are content with your current OS there is no pressing "must have" feature in Tiger. I will get it because I am a junkie and because I really like the new XCode modelling features.

whats the mac os turnover rate? how long until theres another one?

Kokopelli
    Quote Originally Posted by JRV
    whats the mac os turnover rate? how long until theres another one?
    16-18 months? I believe Apple's release cycle target is 18 months but I have nothing to back this up.

kind of quick isn't? whats tiger gonna cost if i want to buy a full version?

zakatov
    Hehe, new iMacs are also coming out the same time Tiger is. enjoy!
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Thread Information