New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New Switcher

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BurntSmore

BurntSmore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM

Hey everyone! I just switched from a PC to an iMac G5. Can you guys give me info on what programs I should get and what basic things I need to do. I am also planning to get more memory to add to my puny 256MB of RAM. Should I get the EXPENSIVE memory seperate from Apple, or should I settle with Crucial or Kingston? I really want to get one gig of RAM to add to the 256 in the iMac. Please give me advice! I also want to know if there is any good freeware for Mac. Thanks in advance! Oh, and is it okay to buy online, or should I buy directly? THANKS!
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Check this out for software:

Here:
new mac user, what shall i try?

Edit:

Below is someone's top 100 Mac OS X apps:

http://www.creationrobot.com/index.php?p=728
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

buying online is ok, just make sure they are reputable, ask around, crucial ram is not settling, its usually very good. as far as apps, macjanitor, or maintenance, or cocktail, some maintenance app, the os pretty much runs its own maintenance, all you ever have to do is repair permissions after installing updates or apps. dont use onyx or norton products. before you ask, in case, cause most do, there are NO viruses, adware, or spyware on mac, only use antivirus apps if you network with pc's, and if so, dont use nortons.
besides that, os x should have most of what basics you need, make sure you turn on the firewall if you want to. also, if you have more than about 100 fonts, dont use fontbook for font management, I love apple, but fontbook is a waste.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Even though Apple's pricing on memory has come down a bit, I still wouldn't purchased from them. I buy my RAM from OWC and MacSolutions and have always been 100% satisfied with the product and service, not to mention the pricing. As for applications and freeware, check out MacUpdate.com and VersionTracker.com.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

If you follow the link in iWhat's post you will see what I recommend so I won't bother repeating... Here are a couple other places you might check:

This is a list of lists. I find it interesting that it depends a lot on how a person uses their computer as to what they recommend.
http://www.43folders.com/2004/09/osx_inventories.html

and here:
http://daringfireball.net/2005/02/apps_of_the_year_2004

Then VersionTracker and MacUpdate as Padawan mentioned. Everywhere else I can think of is linked to in the first URL. EDIT: A dupe inside a single post...
QUOTE Thanks
BurntSmore

BurntSmore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM

Concerning RAM, what does this person mean when he said it wasn't paired?

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15466
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Erase CD | Help! Whats going on with my beloved ibook? »