New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

When Snow Leopard arrives..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sprite

Location: Surrey or Sheffield, UK.. or I might even be in Aarhus, Denmark
sprite is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" (mid-2009 edition), 2.66Ghz, 4GB, 640GB HDD

Just wondering about the best thing to do, really.

I've got a brand new iMac, I bought it after the specified June date, meaning I'll get the upgrade for the price of P&P - I'm a bit worried about waiting weeks for it though, does anyone have any experience of that? I really enjoyed going to the Apple Store with my brother when Leopard came out, at an evening opening thing, so I don't want to be waiting in the wings.

Next thing is, my brother has a Macbook Pro (my old one heh), from about Sept '07. This came with Tiger on it, but we went to the store as above when Leopard came out and bought a family pack, which we installed on both that and his old iBook (a bit obselete now, so don't consider this in what I'm asking).

Since the MBP didn't come with Leopard actually on it, is he still ok to just get the cheaper upgrade option?

Also; will there be a family pack upgrade option? Or should I just get the free P&P upgrade thing and maybe wait around a bit longer, and leave him to get the single upgrade for his machine?

Ta
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

Yes, they almost always have a family pack. I don't understand your first question, though.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I'm a little worried about upgrading right away because of compatibility issues. I'd hate to upgrade and then find out my printer driver isn't compatible with SL. When Leopard came out, it took Adobe weeks to produce a Leopard compatible version of Acrobat. The same with Missing Sync and USB modem. I'd be in trouble if I upgraded the first day and an application I use for work everyday turned out to be incompatible.
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

^You still use Acrobat? I stopped using Adobe Acrobat after I got my PowerBook a couple of years ago. I doubt there will be that many issues with compatibility.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPod Nano View Post
^You still use Acrobat? I stopped using Adobe Acrobat after I got my PowerBook a couple of years ago. I doubt there will be that many issues with compatibility.
What do you use in place of Acrobat?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
I'm a little worried about upgrading right away because of compatibility issues. I'd hate to upgrade and then find out my printer driver isn't compatible with SL. When Leopard came out, it took Adobe weeks to produce a Leopard compatible version of Acrobat. The same with Missing Sync and USB modem. I'd be in trouble if I upgraded the first day and an application I use for work everyday turned out to be incompatible.
That's what backups are for. Time Machine, or use something like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to make a clone of your system prior to installing Snow Leopard.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

Quote:
Apple Preview.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Quote:
You guys might be talking about two different things here. One of you appears to be talking about viewing PDFs and the other about creating them.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

Oh. I didn't know acrobat creates PDF's. OK, my bad.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Oh. I didn't know acrobat creates PDF's. OK, my bad.
The Acrobat line does. Adobe Reader is simply a means to read documents created by Acrobat and other applications such as OpenOffice or, for that matter, anything that has print capabilities in OS X . We all learn new things .

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
adz

adz is on a distinguished road

How will one upgrade?
Is there going to be an upgrade disk for $29 that anyone can buy?
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

By upgrade, they mean UPGRADE from Leopard.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
sprite

Location: Surrey or Sheffield, UK.. or I might even be in Aarhus, Denmark
sprite is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" (mid-2009 edition), 2.66Ghz, 4GB, 640GB HDD

Quote:
Yes, they almost always have a family pack. I don't understand your first question, though.
I suppose I was just asking if it's too good to be true, the price! That there might be some hidden catch for someone who's laptop didn't come with Leopard pre-installed and that they upgraded to that.

How very... Windows of me, I suppose?

Anyway I now have another Mac myself hehe! I have to think about what to do. My brother will need to pay 30 unless he does get this new iMac he's thinking of, depending on the price of the family pack, it might be worth me chipping in and us getting one of those in-store (i.e. if the family pack will be more than 30+7.95+7.95, or near enough equal to it).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari problem with a large PDF file | browser focus with keyboard shortcut »