New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Most commonly used keyboard shortcuts/touchpad strokes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marigoldey

marigoldey is on a distinguished road

Hello. This is my first post and I'm a new Switcher (Macbook aluminum-touchpad all one piece).

One thing I am struggling with is the overwhelming amount of keyboard shortcuts and touchpad movements available on my Mac. (I have been to the sticky pages and apple.com). I wish their was a summary of the top 10 or 15 most commonly used shortcuts/movements. Wondering if folks might break down for me their top favorites for performing basic functions. For example, in my first 2 months on my Mac, I've realized I use the four finger stroke on the touchpad a lot to display my open webpages and other open applications.

Any help on folk's most commonly used shortcuts/touchpad movements would be awesome.

Marigoldey
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Command-Tab: cycles between applications
Command-`: cycles between windows within the same application

Command-L: highlights the URL bar in most browsers

Command-X, Command-C, Command-V: cut, copy & paste

Shift-Command-3: takes a snapshot of your screen and puts it on the desktop

Command-Space: spotlight

Option-Command-Escape: the OS X equivalent of Ctrl-Alt-Delete

BTW: It you had a few favorite keyboard shortcuts in Windows using the Ctrl key, try them in OS X with the Command key. Often they are the same.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Sticky Thread in Software Forum:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...hort-cuts.html

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
marigoldey

marigoldey is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help.

I've already viewed the sticky article. I'm looking for more of a summary of the most commonly used movements/shortcuts because I am feeling very overwhelmed right now looking at a list of like 100 or more keyboard shortcuts.

thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

You'll probably get as many suggestions here as you would on the sticky post or here on Apple's website:

Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts

But it's important to note that the Command key is sort of like the first line of defense when it comes to shortcuts.

Command-H hides an app.
Command-Q quits.
Command-X cuts.
Command-C copies.
Command-V pastes.
Command-S saves a document.
Command-Tab switches between apps.
Command-` switches between multiple app windows.

Command-Option-Eject puts the computer to sleep.

Those are probably the most used.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recovering Emails deleted | Getting There! »