New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Some new info I found re: Mac Mini and Tiger's "core image"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Thud

It actually came out a while back, but I hadn't seen it until yesterday.

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/defa...01%2F27%2F2005

Basically the Mac Mini (and eMac) won't support ANY of the features of Core Image or the new GPU-rendered interface (Quartz Extreme 2D). I was kind of hoping that at least some of the features would work. There have been threads speculating about this before.

The good news is that the CPU should be able to handle the load fine just as it does now, the main new thing is the ability to render the dashboard.

However, on macs with faster video cards (PixelShader 2.0 compliant) the GUI will be entirely offloaded to the graphics card and the CPU won't be doing much at all.
QUOTE Thanks
flonejek

To put it more technically core image decide wether the cpu or the gpu would be faster at processing certain threads and uses the fastest one, so it would still use the graphics card for basic stuff that would still run faster, just not the rest of it.
QUOTE Thanks
mmoy

mmoy is an unknown at this point

This is pretty amazing stuff.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any ideas/suggestions anyone? | Just switched, a little scared!! »