New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

The story of the switcher to be...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jessica

I bought a Powerbook a few weeks ago, it was delivered and well---the rest is obvious. I called my mom and told her all about it. She said I was nuts...just plain nuts to spend $2400 on a stupid laptop when I can get a Dell, Compaq, HP or IBM for much less! She said I would regret the **** out of it. I giggled while staring at my backlit keyboard.

Fast forward to three days later. My mom sends me an e-mail saying she may have infected everyone with a virus. I laugh again and delete her e-mail because I was on my powerbook. I e-mailed her back with nothing but a picture of an apple.

Today...
Today was my day out shopping with my mom. It was loads of fun...if you enjoy spending hours in shoe stores and clothing stores in a crowded *** mall. I do not dig that, but I knew that the mall had an apple store and I was SURE to get something for my birthday. I walked around, carried her bags, did the daughterly things and then we walk around the corner and white lit apple goodness awaits. I show her the 30" displays, she laughed, I showed her the smallest one...she said "neat". I showed her the ipods and stuff. I picked up an icurve and a timbuk2 bag. Love them! just the things I wanted. I grab a shuffle dock for my new shuffle and a midi keyboard. I turn around and my mom is playing on a powerbook! hah she is hooked! She talks to the sales person and next thing you know she spots an imac. She falls in love. She is buying it. She loved the 20" but thought the 17 was more her style since she wants something smaller. She surfs the net, works in excel and word, and loads up photos and uses typical camera-included photo editing software. She'll never use garage band or anything like that. I advise her to get the 1.8GHz and I'll buy her another stick of RAM if she doesn't just to ensure there is no lag. My mom is less than patient and I can just see the BS calls about how the imac is no faster than her current 1.2ghz 768mb ram 32mb video card HP PC.

So there you have it...a switcher to be. The very lady who called me NUTS for spending more money on an Apple just because I thought it was better. My own mother who said, "is it fast...the rep says YES, does this cute mouse come with it? He says YES. She says, "I'm sold."
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

So, about how many days from the time she called you nuts to the day she purchased an iMac G5? That's a great story. What a typical mom, she was sold on the cute mouse. Reminds me of my mom. My mom wants a powerbook, but she's going to wait for awhile. My mom is obsessed with the backlit keyboard, so every other question about macs is "Oh, does that one come with a backlit keyboard?" No, mother. How about this one? Nope, no backlit keyboard for that one either, mom. How about...? No, mom.

Another thing she likes bother me about is when new mac coming out. I tell her about the Mac mini. So now she keeps asking me, when is the Mac daddy coming out. She's relentless; I tell you.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Very cool! Great story. Made my night. I had a bad day and it's nice to end it with some good news! Hope your mom loves the Imac G5!! Great machine for anything she will ever do and a lot more.
QUOTE Thanks
johncpiercy

Im soon to be a switcher

Just ordering a 12inch PB w/Super Drive

Never touched a MAc , ever

Built PC's .,,installed , Formatted and tweaked XP

Im getting sick of the Spyware , Virus threats , etc etc

Stories like this make me glad that Im buying a PB laptop

JP :miner:
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

Brilliant story! I'm hoping to sell my folks soon. I'll be setting them up w/ a webcam for AIM so we can video conference. I'll of course have my iBook on hand to "test" it out w/ them... Well more like amaze them w/ iChat's video quality!
QUOTE Thanks
mike518

mike518 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" macbook pro core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd. iPod nano 8gb. iPod Photo 20gb.

Can I ask a silly question? Why doesn't Microsoft do whatever Apple has done so that viruses are no longer existant for its operating system?
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike518
Can I ask a silly question? Why doesn't Microsoft do whatever Apple has done so that viruses are no longer existant for its operating system?
Because that would mean transforming their entire OS to a Unix based system, and dogs in Redmond are a bit to pig headed to admit that Unix is better.(Since they already told people "unix is not better."
QUOTE Thanks
Jordan

Good for you guys. However, I wish I knew (was related to, or better yet, was the person) people who can just drop a few Large for a computer on a whim like that.

Still, enjoy regardless of my envy.

Jordan
QUOTE Thanks
mike518

mike518 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" macbook pro core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd. iPod nano 8gb. iPod Photo 20gb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplejustWorks
Because that would mean transforming their entire OS to a Unix based system, and dogs in Redmond are a bit to pig headed to admit that Unix is better.(Since they already told people "unix is not better."
Ohhh I see, so now even if they wanted to change over, they'd have to 'bit the bullet' so to speak and cop a fair bit of crap from a range of users, lol. Thanks for the insight.
QUOTE Thanks

Sticky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" iBook G4

Nice story Jess, Amazing how people can go into an Apple store not that interested in their stuff and then have to be dragged out or they come out with a nice shing white Apple product!

-- 15GB 3G iPod (The Best One) - iPod Dock --
-- iBook G4 - 1.2Ghz - 30GB HD - 256MB RAM - Bluetooth - BT Apple Mouse --

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why not an eMac??? | PowerPoint on Mac not compatible with PC help! »