New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

External Drives Fire wire vs USB 2.0

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vrsantana

vrsantana is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro 2.26Ghz/4GB/750GB WD HDD

I have a 500GB WD My Book USB2.0. All I read is how slow and no good USB external drives are. Should I just sell it and get a fire wire external drive?
Also,
I ordered a 13" MBP and I'm not quite sure if I want to load almost 60GB of music onto the 160GB HD. I have a WD 160GB portable HD that I could put the music on but then I would have to have it connected to sync my iphone. Would having all that music on my MBP slow it down or affect it's performance?
What are my options?

Thanks for any input.
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

Personally, I am using an external hard drive that operates on Firewire 800. In terms of transfer speed, it is significantly slower than firewire naturally, but it isn't something that'd bother you very much, truth be told. It is slower, but not slow enough for you to want to smash it or something. If you truly want to sell it, that's fine, but it is not entirely necessary I think.

And, having 60G worth of music all on your MBP is not going to slow down your performance.
QUOTE Thanks
MacF-UK

MacF-UK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrsantana View Post
I have a 500GB WD My Book USB2.0. All I read is how slow and no good USB external drives are. Should I just sell it and get a fire wire external drive?
Also,
I ordered a 13" MBP and I'm not quite sure if I want to load almost 60GB of music onto the 160GB HD. I have a WD 160GB portable HD that I could put the music on but then I would have to have it connected to sync my iphone. Would having all that music on my MBP slow it down or affect it's performance?
What are my options?

Thanks for any input.
USB 1.0 = slow

USB 2.0 = fast
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

I think USB 2.0 would be fine. There are always big debates on whether or not USB 2.0 is faster or not that Firewire. I believe the USB is listed as being capable of 480mb/s but it definitely can't sustain a transfer speed of that rate. I think for moving big (or a lot) of files, Firewire will sustain a higher speed and therefor be faster.

USB 2.0 should be fine enough, I probably wouldn't go out and buy a new external drive just for having a Firewire connection.
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

^ That's correct. Theoretically USB 2.0 is faster than firewire 400 but will never really sustain a constant speed which is why when you want to transfer video to your computer, you use firewire to keep this constant data stream therefore giving you constant quality. Firewire 800 (as the name implies) is x2 faster than firewire 400 but unless your device has an 800 port, the speed is limited to 400Mbs.

USB 2.0 is absolutely fine for music etc. on external drives.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYkOoOoO View Post
Personally, I am using an external hard drive that operates on Firewire 800. In terms of transfer speed, it is significantly slower than firewire
That's an achievement.
QUOTE Thanks
Rambaud

Rambaud is on a distinguished road

I use Firewire for Time Machine and to clone my macbook.

USB is slower, IMHO.
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

I have a 500 gig portable drive that can use USB 2 or Firewire 400 connections.
Firewire 400 is consistently faster and steadier than USB 2 for Time Machine and general backups.

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
Blazkowicz

Blazkowicz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PMG5 2.0 DP/9800XT, PBG4 1.5 12"

It really is worth upgrading to FW, if for no other reason that the ability to boot from it.

"Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy." PPC works for me..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about Firewall... | Keychain problem in Leopard »