New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Help! Whats going on with my beloved ibook?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Rena Bella
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I just bought my ibook in october and I love it, it made me hate PCs (needless to say, i guess, lol)
Anyways, this is a really good computer, I just love it however, lately its been taking a long time to start up! I have No clue why and Im not sure how to fix either, Im not a mac expert yet.
WHen I start it, the wallpaper comes up and then it takes a few minutes before my desktop appears, the entire time it loads, the mouse is that waiting symbol, that circly thing that spins.. you know!

Anyways, one of my friends told me that because I downloaded a bunch of fonts not to long ago and installed them into the fontbook, it makes the computer start slower, so I should make a seperate file for them, though this seems kind of ridiculous to me!
Anyways, help me fix my baby
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

 
deus_ex_machina's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 06, 2004
Location: Tejas
Posts: 1,720
deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

deus_ex_machina is offline
I had the exact same problem (thanx Macman) and I had about 600 in fontbook and 5000 elsewhere. Anyways I disabled Fontbook and unactivate all the fonts and I stopped using it completely. It's proprietary and not that great. Suitcase has been wonderful to me IMHO
QUOTE Thanks
Rena Bella
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
I had the exact same problem (thanx Macman) and I had about 600 in fontbook and 5000 elsewhere. Anyways I disabled Fontbook and unactivate all the fonts and I stopped using it completely. It's proprietary and not that great. Suitcase has been wonderful to me IMHO
So it is the fonts?
So what do I have to do exactly?
ew that sux...
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

 
deus_ex_machina's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 06, 2004
Location: Tejas
Posts: 1,720
deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

deus_ex_machina is offline
Also if you wanted to continue w/Fontbook i wouldn't activate more than 200... You can always have a set of fonts you use (design fonts?) and add from a folder elsewhere when you need it
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

 
deus_ex_machina's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 06, 2004
Location: Tejas
Posts: 1,720
deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

deus_ex_machina is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena Bella
So it is the fonts?
So what do I have to do exactly?
ew that sux...
Usually not the fonts (some can be corrupt though... ) but the number of fonts activated. The system takes every single one into account on startup, causing it take several minutes. Go into Fontbook and select your added fonts and deactivate and take out of Fontbook. This can take a while too and for good measure check to see if Fontbook is one of your startup apps. Uncheck if it is.
QUOTE Thanks
Rena Bella
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
Usually not the fonts (some can be corrupt though... ) but the number of fonts activated. The system takes every single one into account on startup, causing it take several minutes. Go into Fontbook and select your added fonts and deactivate and take out of Fontbook. This can take a while too and for good measure check to see if Fontbook is one of your startup apps. Uncheck if it is.

Im sorry, i know i should like a total dumbass but how do I check my startup applications?
I really dont know all the big stuff with macs yet, and if it isnt one of the selected programs does that mean that deactived fonts wont show up in my programs?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

 
deus_ex_machina's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 06, 2004
Location: Tejas
Posts: 1,720
deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

deus_ex_machina is offline
In System Preferences go into Accounts and your Startup Items should be there along with Password, Picture, and Security. If its not thats fine. What you'll be doing (if still using Fontbook) is reinstalling your previously added fonts back into FB and limiting what's active. When I had those 600+ fonts active on mine it showed them even in Safari settings and I got unbelievable lag. Like before you can pick like a choice 100 or so fonts to have active in a set apart from System and User and activate when you need it. That way your comp won't try and load them for EVERY program and slow everything down.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

 
iWhat's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 11, 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 5,736
iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

iWhat is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
Suitcase has been wonderful to me IMHO
Does Suitcase help the problem, how does it help you? I want to start downloading fonts for my Adobe apps, but I also don't want a slow startup time.
QUOTE Thanks
Rena Bella
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWhat
Does Suitcase help the problem, how does it help you? I want to start downloading fonts for my Adobe apps, but I also don't want a slow startup time.

What exactly is suitcase?
QUOTE Thanks
Rena Bella
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
In System Preferences go into Accounts and your Startup Items should be there along with Password, Picture, and Security. If its not thats fine. What you'll be doing (if still using Fontbook) is reinstalling your previously added fonts back into FB and limiting what's active. When I had those 600+ fonts active on mine it showed them even in Safari settings and I got unbelievable lag. Like before you can pick like a choice 100 or so fonts to have active in a set apart from System and User and activate when you need it. That way your comp won't try and load them for EVERY program and slow everything down.
Okay, I went into my fontbook, but how do i just reinstall everything?
I try disabling some fonts, but I dont think that helps.

Is there anyelse thats possibly making my ocmputer start slower?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

 
deus_ex_machina's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 06, 2004
Location: Tejas
Posts: 1,720
deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

deus_ex_machina is offline
I scrapped Fontbook entirely and use Extensis Suitcase X1. Its a font management program like Fontbook but more professional and reliable. Its been integrated for a while with Adobe and used it when ATM gave me too many problems. You can define sets of graphic fonts that can be activated at will and application fonts that only activate when that program is run, say Illustrator or Indesign.
http://www.extensis.com/en/products/...ly.jsp?id=1054
has 30 day trial
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

 
deus_ex_machina's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 06, 2004
Location: Tejas
Posts: 1,720
deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

deus_ex_machina is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by iWhat
Does Suitcase help the problem, how does it help you? I want to start downloading fonts for my Adobe apps, but I also don't want a slow startup time.
Its a replacement program for Fontbook. Right now I have a set of 138 fonts and about 5000+ elsewhere on my comp. I just add fonts to my set as I go and it has never crashed and the activated font appears in the Character tab as soon as I return to whatever Adobe program I using. I rarely restart the computer but has never lagged as a startup item.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

 
iWhat's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 11, 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 5,736
iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

iWhat is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
Its a replacement program for Fontbook. Right now I have a set of 138 fonts and about 5000+ elsewhere on my comp. I just add fonts to my set as I go and it has never crashed and the activated font appears in the Character tab as soon as I return to whatever Adobe program I using. I rarely restart the computer but has never lagged as a startup item.
Cool! I'm going to check it out soon.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« New Switcher | Window Washer? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
iBook decision - 900MHz G3 vs. current models mkgordon Apple Notebooks 9 01-23-2007 04:33 PM
Might possibly come back to iBook, lots of questions! JSchultz Apple Notebooks 12 03-20-2005 11:05 PM
Go Apple, Go Applr, Go Baby go... ByzantineRemnant Apple Notebooks 2 01-03-2005 09:15 PM
New to Mac: what to get 12.1" or 14.1" iBook? Fikr Switcher Hangout 6 05-10-2004 05:10 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?