New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Help with first Mac purchase (iMac or mini)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

devin_c_co

devin_c_co is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone. I'm looking at buying my first Mac. I'm pretty certain that I'm going to get an iMac, but still tossing around the idea of a mini. Anyway, I'm trying to decide which to get. Since it is my first Mac I'll be learning as I go. My main use for the machine will be typical home/office stuff, picture editing with Photoshop Elements, and video editing with iMovie or something similar, and running a virtual machine or 2. I also wanted to keep the price somewhat reasonable. So my choices are...
  • Last year 24" iMac. Club Mac has it for $1199 ($1099/AR). I'll upgrade to 4GB of RAM afterwords.
  • Current generation refrub 24" iMac with the GT120 video card for $1549.
  • Or entry level current generation mini for $599 and upgrade to 4GB RAM after I get it.

I'm leaning towards previous generation iMac because it seems to be a great value. But it's not using the newer video card, and the RAM expansion is limited to 4GB. I don't know if that will really be an issue since this will be my first Mac. It's also not OpenCL compatible, but again I'm not sure if that will be much of an issue.

As for the mini, I've heard that the performance of the new mini is pretty impressive. My co-worker bought one and plays WOW on it and he's impressed by it. Does anyone know how it compares with the previous generation iMac? I'd still need to buy a keyboard, mouse and monitor, or a KVM switch. This combo would still come in cheaper than the previous generation iMac, but not by too much. Not sure if the amount I'd save is equal in performance.

The only reason I'm, considering the current version of iMac is because it's using the newer technology. For the most part it is out of my price range. But, I could make it work if I need to. Just have to give up Starbucks for a few months... But I've also started tossing around the the idea of the entry level 24" iMac, but that is down on the list.

So any advice that people can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

If you are planning to run a virtual machine "or 2", then go with the option that provides the greater RAM expansion option. That alone will likely outweigh everything else.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
eddielee

eddielee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4

I'd go with something that supports open CL, won't make a difference now, but will in September when snow leopard comes out. I have the old mini and its amazing, but the new one is even better, graphics as the same as on my macbook, which plays WOW amazingly on full settings.

If you can push to if I'd go for the new one, see if you know any one who attends college or university they get 10% - 13% discount which might make a new one more affordable.

But I personally would save for longer to get a new one, the benefits are subtle, but worth it.

Thanks, Eddie
Software Engineering Student, NTU
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin_c_co View Post
I'm leaning towards previous generation iMac because it seems to be a great value. But it's not using the newer video card, and the RAM expansion is limited to 4GB. I don't know if that will really be an issue since this will be my first Mac.
4GB of RAM will be plenty for what you want to do. I am an avid VM user and 4GB has proven to be more than enough. Just don't run more than one VM at a time (I tried to run 3 once to see what would happen and that is the only time I can remember where I had to hold down the power button to turn off the Mac).

Not many people have more than 4GB (some do but usually do for a reason).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
devin_c_co

devin_c_co is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone. New member here and I'm looking at buying my first Mac. I'm pretty certain that I'm going to get an iMac, but still tossing around the idea of a mini. Anyway, I'm trying to decide which model of iMac or mini to get. Since it is my first Mac I'll be learning as I go. My main use for the machine will be typical home/office stuff, picture editing with Photoshop Elements, and video editing with iMovie or something similar, & a couple of virtual machines using parallels or vmware. I won't be doing any gaming on the machine. I also wanted to keep the price somewhat reasonable. So my choices are...
  • * Previous Generation (2008) 24" iMac, Either new from B&H or if that becomes unavailable then a refurb from the Apple store. Cost is $1199. I'll upgrade to 4GB of RAM when I get it.
    * Current generation refrubed 24" iMac with the GT 120 video card for $1549.
    * Or entry level current generation mini for $599 and upgrade to 4GB RAM after I get it. Possibly upgrade the HDD to a 329=0GB 7200RPM or 500Gb 5400RPM drive.

I'm leaning towards previous generation iMac because it seems to be a great value. But it's not using the newer video card, and the RAM expansion is limited to 4GB. I don't know if that will really be an issue since this will be my first Mac.

I've also heard that the performance of the new mini is pretty impressive. Does anyone know how it compares with the previous generation iMac? I'd still need to buy a keyboard, mouse and monitor. This combo would still come in cheaper than the previous generation iMac, but only by about $100.

The only reason I'm, considering the current version of iMac is because it's using the "newer" technology and is OpenCL compatible. But for the things I would be doing, I'm not sure if I'd really see the performance increase of OpenCL when Snow Leopard is released. Also, the ability to go to 8GB of RAM (when RAM prices drop) is attractive as well.

So any advice that people can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I'd go with either iMac. As for RAM, you won't need 8GB of RAM. You'll probably be fine with 2GBs, 4GB if you really need it.

The Mac Mini I see as a computer for 3 things, a starter computer, server or media center. Not as a full computer because the iMac is a much better deal.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: Merged crossposts

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Silly Question | When does snow leapard come out? »