New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Programs Stay Open, Even After You X Them Out?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Vetteman

I'm a new Mac user and I'm in heaven.

The only problem I have with mac's is the way that programs stay open even after you x them out.

The only way to fully close a program is to go to ex: Safari- Quit Safari or Command Q. Either way this requires an extra step compared to simply clicking on the red close button. Plus, it makes it harder to work with one hand. Its so much less efficient.

Why do they do this??!!!

Is there a 3rd party program which rectifies this? I'm not a programmer, but this shouldn't be too hard to do. Come on UNIX-heads!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
dstyrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetteman
I'm a new Mac user and I'm in heaven.

The only problem I have with mac's is the way that programs stay open even after you x them out.

The only way to fully close a program is to go to ex: Safari- Quit Safari or Command Q. Either way this requires an extra step compared to simply clicking on the red close button. Plus, it makes it harder to work with one hand. Its so much less efficient.

Why do they do this??!!!

Is there a 3rd party program which rectifies this? I'm not a programmer, but this shouldn't be too hard to do. Come on UNIX-heads!!!!

Just click and hold on it's icon in the dock. Then choose quit. It's just as fast as clicking on the "x" or the red dot.
QUOTE Thanks
sonofapplepm

You can always just put your arrow on the app in the dock and click and hold. If you do this it will give you the option to quit at the app itself. I hope this is what you were hoping for!!!

Josh

Sorry for answering with the same answer. Someone answered while i was typing the reply.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Plus, it makes it harder to work with one hand. Its so much less efficient.
This really bothered me at first as well, but after a while you start learning the keyboard shortcuts and for me it's really helped speed up my work on the computer...

I'd try to live with command+q - after a while it becomes second nature!

Or just leave the apps open? Most cpu-hogging applications close on the x anyway (iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband...) and those that don't are used fairly often (Safari, Mail, iTunes...)
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I'm addicted to this one shortcut that I use, but I can't remember where I heard it from. It's kind of like combining two shortcuts into one. Let's say you have a whole bunch of apps open, and you want to shutdown selected particular apps. First I use "Command + Tab", which bring up the current apps running. While still holding down the "Commend Key", press the "Tab Key" to select the desired app to close. Once, you have the app selected, while still holding down the "Command Key", press "Q" to quit out of the app.
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

i love command+q

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

The idea is this: why should you have to reload the entire application from disk just because you closed the last window?

On Windows, if I'm working on a document (in most Windows applications) and I close it, the program goes *poof.* When I open a new document, I have to wait for the whole application to load again.

Linux is worse: sometimes apps behave the Mac way, sometimes they behave the Windows way.

Is one better than the other? Nope. Just different.
QUOTE Thanks
edgefusion

edgefusion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram

I like it the way it is personally. Being able to completely get rid of the iTunes and Mail interfaces is something I always use, in Windows you would have to minimise them taking up space in the task bar. It's something you'll definitely get used to at least, if you keep the single button mouse you'll always have one hand over the keyboard so the command + Q isn't that hard.

QUOTE Thanks
mmoy

mmoy is an unknown at this point

Can you do:

ps -Al | grep -i safari
kill -9 pid
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

i have no clue what that is, but i tried it in Terminal with safari open and it replied "no such pid". And yeah, i just switched and found that quite irritating the first day, but then i got used to it and started to like it because its faster reopening apps because it keeps the program open, just closes the application windows.
QUOTE Thanks
Thud

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
The idea is this: why should you have to reload the entire application from disk just because you closed the last window?
Why should the program stay running after you close the last window? When you close the last window, doesn't that mean you're done?

Quote:
On Windows, if I'm working on a document (in most Windows applications) and I close it, the program goes *poof.* When I open a new document, I have to wait for the whole application to load again.
It takes an extra couple of seconds to completely exit a program (if you use the mouse method) whereas it takes about 0.5 seconds to reload the entire application from disk. On my computer at least.

Quote:
Linux is worse: sometimes apps behave the Mac way, sometimes they behave the Windows way.
Heck, on a Mac, sometimes apps behave the Mac way and sometimes they don't.
QUOTE Thanks
mmoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun89
i have no clue what that is, but i tried it in Terminal with safari open and it replied "no such pid". And yeah, i just switched and found that quite irritating the first day, but then i got used to it and started to like it because its faster reopening apps because it keeps the program open, just closes the application windows.
That was just a guess at the name of the application. Perhaps a ps -Al will give you a complete list of processes and that the name is obvious.
QUOTE Thanks
mmoy

Sometimes Firefox doesn't completely close and remains hanging around and I just kill it in the Task Manager on Windows. I prefer a process to go away when I kill it. If I want to keep it around, then I'll keep it around. It's a real pain doing development where you have to start and stop a program all the time to have to kill the process so that you can try running a new version of your software.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

i personally love the fact that nothing closes when you just close the window....when im doing work one hand stays on the mouse...the other hand stays on the command w/q/tab keys....i like being able to x out of (or command + w) every window and have the program still running....when i want to exit the application....i just quickly hit command + q and its gone....it seriously takes about an eighth of a second to close out an application once you get used to it....you have to remember your on a different os, and i think this one is 100% better than others
QUOTE Thanks
thermidor

thermidor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB

I find the Mac efficient enough that I can keep stuff running in the background without any noticeable performance penalties. This makes the whole thing nice and quick to use. Photoshop, for example, takes a while to load on my machine, so having it open already makes sense.

If you tried this on a Windows machine, it would behave like a dog in no time, so it makes sense only to have this feature on a real computer

I questioned the Mac way at first, now I think it's the best way of doing it, given the computer is up to the job.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anyone have any pics of an iMac G5 w/ the harmon kardon sounsticks 2? | BitTorrent, again »