New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Apple refunded difference after price drop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Trolle

Trolle is on a distinguished road

I hope that everybody understands that companies have to innovate and release new products and change prices, otherwise they weren't paying attention in business class.

Everybody who whines about recent price drops needs to move on and accept that they were happy with their purchase before the drop in price, just as they should be happy with their product now.

I bought a refurbished Macbook Pro for $1,699 14 days ago. Recent price drop was $350. I called Apple and after being on hold for 20 minutes and a brief and polite discussion, they credited my credit card the full difference after about waiting another 15 minutes. I regard that as excellent customer service. If I had not gotten the rebate I would have still been happy with my Macbook Pro since I was happy with it before the price drop.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

That's probably one of the reasons why Apple ranks in like the top 10 in customer support satisfaction.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Trolle

I agree, and they should be ranked that high. I teach Service Economics at university and this is a great example of a company that under promises and over delivers.

Apple is not obligated to refund a price difference but the fact that they do is just icing on the cake
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Yep, in EVERY instance I have dealt with Apple their service has far surpassed what was simply 'required'. I'm actually surprised about the hold time, I've never been on hold with them that long

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Trolle

I'm overseas and used Skype to call the sales support office in the US. When I purchased the machine the agent told me she could see it was an overseas, Internet call. I don't know if they differentiate their call center customers, but I wouldn't be surprised. I didn't mind though since I could work at the same time.
QUOTE Thanks
DaveMBP

DaveMBP is an unknown at this point

bought mine 6 weeks ago, got a free ipod, printer, (both with rebate) and they refunded me the difference of the price drop
QUOTE Thanks
kbarnette

kbarnette is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MBP 3.06 ghz; 4GB Ram; 500 GB 7200 RPM HD

I purchased my MBP on May 29, 2009. After speaking with Apple after the price drop they suggested that I send in my MBP, they'd refund the entire cost, and I could then purchase a new one (with the upgraded processor and HD, as well as the ~$300 price difference).

I was thoroughly impressed.

I'm now Mac-less (after having my first Mac for about 4 days) until I can place my new order and receive the shipment.

~Kevin
Disclaimer: New to Macs, not computers
First Mac Purchased 6/1/2009. Current Mac: 17" MBP 3.06 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 500 GB 7200 RPM HD.
QUOTE Thanks
goddess_of_go

goddess_of_go is on a distinguished road

Based on the report of a rebate six weeks after purchase I called the Bridgewater Apple store in New Jersey and I was told that I did not qualify because they only go back 14 days after the product announcement. But I've definitely learned my lesson.

Terri
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Ok, we can safely assume that there will be SOME change announced at WWDC. This always occurs. That date isn't exactly a huge secret. If you're so worried about being 'out of date' (and as far as I can tell there was no HUGE tech improvement, just packaging) wait til after WWDC to buy.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Will they do that for my iPhone? I bought a 3G about six weeks ago and paid the $199 for it. While I know they won't let me upgrade, perhaps...

And who does one call at Apple to try this?
QUOTE Thanks
Ishnu

Ishnu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnette View Post
I purchased my MBP on May 29, 2009. After speaking with Apple after the price drop they suggested that I send in my MBP, they'd refund the entire cost, and I could then purchase a new one (with the upgraded processor and HD, as well as the ~$300 price difference).

I was thoroughly impressed.

I'm now Mac-less (after having my first Mac for about 4 days) until I can place my new order and receive the shipment.
Did people who had success getting a refund or being allowed to return/repurchase originally purchase directly through Apple via telephone or internet or did they purchase through stores?

I am having trouble obtaining help from Apple Customer Service because my computer was purchased through a store that is not willing to give a rebate.
QUOTE Thanks
kbarnette

kbarnette is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MBP 3.06 ghz; 4GB Ram; 500 GB 7200 RPM HD

Hi Ishnu,

I purchased from the online Apple Store. I suspect the refund and/or price difference rebate is dished out on a case by case basis. I think the rep. that I got on the phone (I was just calling to see if there was any option available to me, and was really expecting at most the price difference rebate) was new, and said I could send mine back in, and then went and talked with his manager and had to stick with what he said. I'm not sure though, I had just purchased the MBP.

Anyway, I would have been happy with my Mac even if they would have said 'tough luck'.

In defense against the comment, 'we all knew WWDC was coming up, why buy before then?', I was aware of WWDC before my purchase (I had read about it here) but was unaware of what could happen at WWDC. I figured it would just be iPhone announcements or maybe Mac machine announcements for late 2009. I wasn't aware that they could say, here's a new machine with minor changes, and here's a new price, and it's available today.

Anyway, you guys are great, and I'm excited for my new MBP to come in on Monday morning.

~Kevin
Disclaimer: New to Macs, not computers
First Mac Purchased 6/1/2009. Current Mac: 17" MBP 3.06 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 500 GB 7200 RPM HD.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A Software like WinRAR for Mac | MySpace - Safari can’t find the server »