New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Apologies now, if this has been asked before (PC to MAC transfering)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gauvain

Hello gang!

I am going to be a new MAC owner shortly (MINI of course for affordability) The one thing I would like to know is this, what will be the easiest way to hook them up and transfer files from a ME machine (yuck!) I have read somewhere that the MAC wont even need a special cable for networking directly. It can use regular LAN cable. Will I have to borrow a router from someone? I have hooked up before with an XP machine to a ibook. But it was very wierd, the PC wouldnt see it but the MAC could.

Thanks alot guys and gals!

Robert

P.S. Yippeee the Mac is shipping two weeks early! I have everything here waiting for it. Ram, monitor, keyboard-mouse,MAC Office X,airport w/ airtunes....im almost giddy!
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

Nope, no special cable needed. Since I already had a network setup here all I needed to do was plug my mac into the switch and madee sure file sharing was enabled on my PCs. That's it!

Welcome aboard and congrats on the Mac! :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
cadsmn

If you don't have a router, hub or switch you will need a crossover cable assuming your ME box has an Ethernet adaptor.
QUOTE Thanks
Gauvain

it does have a ethernet, so I WILL need a crossover cable? OK thats fine Ill probably just access a router instead. save time and problems maybe...just got word that my Mini is in China, well leaving china at least...

Robert
QUOTE Thanks
DCyamaha

If i burn all of my old files that I want to keep MP3s, word docs, excel, etc. Will my mac be able to read these CDs that i burn Assuming I have the correct software (MS office for mac)??
QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCyamaha
If i burn all of my old files that I want to keep MP3s, word docs, excel, etc. Will my mac be able to read these CDs that i burn Assuming I have the correct software (MS office for mac)??
Absolutly. Anything you burn on a mac or pc can be read by either. And yes, obviously you will need to correct software to open those certain types.

But everything will transfer w/ out a problem.

Happy switching!

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
bopat

And just so you know (before u get flammed by the seniors).....

It's a Mac (short for Macintosh) not a MAC!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Gauvain

well im posting this from my MINI with the 1 gig stick...

loving it, if i could only get my pc burner to work now i could transfer everything.

robert

thanks for the help on my Mac guys!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 10.3 OS x question -swtiching- | KVM Switch and PC/Mac Combo »