New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

10.3 OS x question -swtiching-

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iphix

iphix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 1.2 ghz / 30GB 4200 / 1.25 GIG

I just purchased an iBook g3

My friend has the OS X software, ok.. i hear all you guys mentioning 10.3.3 and so on... to 10.3.8 how do I make mine to 10.3.8? Do I have to buy 10.3.8 software, or do I just install an update?
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

When you install OS X.3(10.3), the first time you boot up it and get in(past the registration etc) it should pop up with Software update. It will be the 10.3.8 combo(can bring you from any 10.3.x to 10.3.8) along with some other updates.

If it does not pop up, you can always : Apple Menu>Software Update.
QUOTE Thanks
iphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplejustWorks
When you install OS X.3(10.3), the first time you boot up it and get in(past the registration etc) it should pop up with Software update. It will be the 10.3.8 combo(can bring you from any 10.3.x to 10.3.8) along with some other updates.

If it does not pop up, you can always : Apple Menu>Software Update.
Registration? I thought apple didn't go through registration and all the crap like microsoft does?

Is it still ok for me to use my friend's os x?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

its still ok if you use it, illegal, but ok. theres no serial or anything, and registration is just so they can contact you if needed, etc, it also sets up your email and internet for you.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

After you bring your system up 10.3, I would download the Mac OS X Update 10.3.8 (Combo). I would use it to get your system to 10.3.8. I find downloading the combo update and installing to be better for me.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

u can hit the apple in the top right corner of your screen then go to software update and then download the updated software
QUOTE Thanks
iphix

Mk, thanks guys.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphix
Registration? I thought apple didn't go through registration and all the crap like microsoft does?

Is it still ok for me to use my friend's os x?
Every company tries to get you to register your software. The difference is that microsoft wants to force you to do it.

You can choose not to register your mac or your apple software if you want...
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Every company tries to get you to register your software. The difference is that microsoft wants to force you to do it.

You can choose not to register your mac or your apple software if you want...
Um, no. Microsoft forces you to activate, which sends the cd-key with a hardware hash to their servers to check that it is a legal copy that hasn't been installed numerous times before.

At the point you activate, you have the choice to "activate & register" or just "activate." There is no forcing to register. And frankly try running an iPod if you think that Apple trusts you.
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelSullivan

What does the IPod do?
QUOTE Thanks
jsb515

jsb515 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan828
And frankly try running an iPod if you think that Apple trusts you.

eh ? :closed:
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

Excuse me––I didn't mean registering..I meant "configuring your computer to you likes and needs"
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

The locked library and lack of being able to copy mp3s to or from a different computer without work arounds. Obviously because anyone doing that is stealing music, right?

Even though I like my iPod this "assume the user is a thief" functionality of iTunes is really annoying. Having music on a few different computers in different locations I'd hopped I could unifiy my library and have it all on my iPod. Nope, not without copying everything over to a single computer and then transfering it over in that fashion. Not to mention the Audible books that I have to now download to my one computer with a linked library. It's a big PITA, and I'd really prefer it if Apple didn't assume I was stealing from them or someone else and make their software more functional.

Anyways, its currently a pet peeve of mine so I kind of get irritated on the issue of activation and how Apple trusts people not to be pirates because they don't have to activate OS X.

So yeah, not much to do with the topic, other than the not quite according to the licence agreement install of OSX mentioned above.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan828
Even though I like my iPod this "assume the user is a thief" functionality of iTunes is really annoying. Having music on a few different computers in different locations I'd hopped I could unifiy my library and have it all on my iPod.
Turn of Autosync and you can put all the music from all of your computers onto the iPod without putting the music on one computer

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSullivan
What does the IPod do?
WHAT?!
dont make me
*walks off mumbling* lol.
go to apple.com and look at the ipods please. sorry about the above joke.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Switch now or after Tiger's released? | Apologies now, if this has been asked before (PC to MAC transfering) »