Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   10.3 OS x question -swtiching- (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/15485-10-3-os-x-question-swtiching.html)

iphix 03-09-2005 05:49 AM

10.3 OS x question -swtiching-

I just purchased an iBook g3

My friend has the OS X software, ok.. i hear all you guys mentioning 10.3.3 and so on... to 10.3.8 how do I make mine to 10.3.8? Do I have to buy 10.3.8 software, or do I just install an update?

ApplejustWorks 03-09-2005 06:06 AM

When you install OS X.3(10.3), the first time you boot up it and get in(past the registration etc) it should pop up with Software update. It will be the 10.3.8 combo(can bring you from any 10.3.x to 10.3.8) along with some other updates.

If it does not pop up, you can always : Apple Menu>Software Update.

iphix 03-09-2005 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplejustWorks
When you install OS X.3(10.3), the first time you boot up it and get in(past the registration etc) it should pop up with Software update. It will be the 10.3.8 combo(can bring you from any 10.3.x to 10.3.8) along with some other updates.

If it does not pop up, you can always : Apple Menu>Software Update.

Registration? I thought apple didn't go through registration and all the crap like microsoft does?

Is it still ok for me to use my friend's os x?

Macman 03-09-2005 08:45 AM

its still ok if you use it, illegal, but ok. theres no serial or anything, and registration is just so they can contact you if needed, etc, it also sets up your email and internet for you.

rman 03-09-2005 10:16 AM

After you bring your system up 10.3, I would download the Mac OS X Update 10.3.8 (Combo). I would use it to get your system to 10.3.8. I find downloading the combo update and installing to be better for me.

xthisisRomancex 03-09-2005 11:15 AM

u can hit the apple in the top right corner of your screen then go to software update and then download the updated software

iphix 03-09-2005 11:18 AM

Mk, thanks guys.

Aptmunich 03-09-2005 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iphix
Registration? I thought apple didn't go through registration and all the crap like microsoft does?

Is it still ok for me to use my friend's os x?

Every company tries to get you to register your software. The difference is that microsoft wants to force you to do it.

You can choose not to register your mac or your apple software if you want...

dan828 03-09-2005 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Every company tries to get you to register your software. The difference is that microsoft wants to force you to do it.

You can choose not to register your mac or your apple software if you want...

Um, no. Microsoft forces you to activate, which sends the cd-key with a hardware hash to their servers to check that it is a legal copy that hasn't been installed numerous times before.

At the point you activate, you have the choice to "activate & register" or just "activate." There is no forcing to register. And frankly try running an iPod if you think that Apple trusts you.

MichaelSullivan 03-09-2005 01:37 PM

What does the IPod do?

jsb515 03-09-2005 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan828
And frankly try running an iPod if you think that Apple trusts you.

eh ? :closed:

ApplejustWorks 03-09-2005 02:37 PM

Excuse meI didn't mean registering..I meant "configuring your computer to you likes and needs"

dan828 03-09-2005 02:45 PM

The locked library and lack of being able to copy mp3s to or from a different computer without work arounds. Obviously because anyone doing that is stealing music, right?

Even though I like my iPod this "assume the user is a thief" functionality of iTunes is really annoying. Having music on a few different computers in different locations I'd hopped I could unifiy my library and have it all on my iPod. Nope, not without copying everything over to a single computer and then transfering it over in that fashion. Not to mention the Audible books that I have to now download to my one computer with a linked library. It's a big PITA, and I'd really prefer it if Apple didn't assume I was stealing from them or someone else and make their software more functional.

Anyways, its currently a pet peeve of mine so I kind of get irritated on the issue of activation and how Apple trusts people not to be pirates because they don't have to activate OS X.

So yeah, not much to do with the topic, other than the not quite according to the licence agreement install of OSX mentioned above.

trpnmonkey41 03-09-2005 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan828
Even though I like my iPod this "assume the user is a thief" functionality of iTunes is really annoying. Having music on a few different computers in different locations I'd hopped I could unifiy my library and have it all on my iPod.

Turn of Autosync and you can put all the music from all of your computers onto the iPod without putting the music on one computer

Macman 03-09-2005 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelSullivan
What does the IPod do?

WHAT?!
dont make me
*walks off mumbling* lol.
go to apple.com and look at the ipods please. sorry about the above joke.