New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

firmware update - goes to a black screen and won't boot normally

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

madr0x

madr0x is on a distinguished road

So I just got my imac, started the software updates. its doing some firmware update atm where the comp goes to a black screen makes some loud beeping and then goes to the white screen with the apple logo and a loading bar. when its finished it goes back to the black screen with beeping and then to the loading screen again. is it ment to do this? its done it aboout 10 times now! starting to get woried! The cd drive makes a sound at the black screen am I ment to put the mac cd in?

Help please!
QUOTE Thanks
madr0x

I can't get out of it tho. if I turn it off will it damage it?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

if it is getting repetitive it might be an idea to try plan B - Download the combo updater and run that, see Mac OS X 10.5.7 Combo Update
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Press the power on button for 5 secs and it will force shutdown with causing other problems. Then try to power up as normal, if that is not possible have a look at the troubleshooting site on this forum.OS 10.0 - Basic OS X/Mac Troubleshooting - Mac-Forums.com
QUOTE Thanks
madr0x

rang apple. need it replaced. Gee I'm so glad I didn't buy a pc!
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Consider this tho - even on a PC, if a firmware (ie: bios) update fails, your motherboard will be bricked and you will need to get it replaced or sent in for service.

If the OS update failed and you couldn't get back into the OS to fix it, as a last resort you can always reinstall the OS, but since what failed appears to be the firmware update they are following the best course getting you to send it in (or bring it in) for repair/replace.

Although on some desktop pcs that you can have easy access to the motherboard, you might have an additional option (if the flash chip is removable and you can find another one for your make/model of mobo, although for most non-techies, they would rather just send it in for repair) laptops (or laptops setup to act as desktops) are extremely difficult to service if the part is not accessible through the limited access doors so you'd be stuck sending it in (and not all laptops have removable bios chips due to the amount of space in the case).

Certain things are just the same across systems, whether it's an older Apple using Open Firmware, Sun using Open Firmware or whatever they use now, PC BIOS, etc. if a flash to the hardware fails, it will tend to brick the system.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Slideshows - Microsoft Office Powerpoint 2008 | Getting quicktime for windows while in osx?? »