New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Could be the dumbest question of all time....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

donnation25

donnation25 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive

This might be the dumbest question of all time, but I've got an iMac G5 with an 80GB and I was thinking about getting an external hard drive. If I get one, can I use it to store my music and videos to save space on my internal hard drive? So basically my question is, can an external hard drive serve as a storage unit instead of just backing everything up? Thanks in advance and please don't kill me for this question.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

definitely so...besides, adding an external drive can't void warranties and its easier to transport.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

...and we all know the dumbest question in the world is *not* "can I use an external drive as a regular drive?"

:-)
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

The dumbest question in the world is a Windows user asking: "Why did you get a mac?"
QUOTE Thanks
Robbob91

I was once told "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking them." But that was a good question. Does any one know of a good brand of cases for making an internal hard drive external, USB 2.0 ir firewire?

Rob
QUOTE Thanks
donnation25

donnation25 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive

I ended up getting the Maxtor 300GB external hard drive. I know I probably could have gotten one for cheaper but I bought it at a retail store because I didn't want to wait (my hard drive was getting eaten alive by videos). Does anyone have any info on these (is it a solid piece of equipment)?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob91
I was once told "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking them." But that was a good question. Does any one know of a good brand of cases for making an internal hard drive external, USB 2.0 ir firewire?

Rob
this is the one I used to make an external hd for a friend that I wrote a tutorial on at macin-talk.com, maybe Ill post it here too
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...103&pfp=SEARCH
QUOTE Thanks
d-funct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob91

Rob
I once read 'he who asks a question feels like a fool for 5 minutes, however he who did'nt remains a fool forever'

gotta love the chinese proverbs
QUOTE Thanks
TangoCharlie

TangoCharlie is on a distinguished road

Thats exactly how i use mine. I got a cheap USB 120 GB Maxtor Hard drive and its been great! It's not even half full and I have my whole music collection (7000 tunes) in it and some photos too!

Apple Helpline were a little reluctant to help though! Also the iPhoto doesnt 'see' my Hard Drive so thats a slight problem.

Tc
QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

I just bought a 160gb LaCie Porsche Firewire HD and it works flawless, storing a cloned backup of my HD and all my music, videos, and photos.

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
badmojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWhat
The dumbest question in the world is a Windows user asking: "Why did you get a mac?"
Here's another (from the movie Pirates of Silicon Valley):

"You want Xerox to consider something called a mouse?"
- Xerox board member's response to Xerox engineers presenting the first PC GUI.

Maybe the largest single business blunder of all time.
QUOTE Thanks
stillimation

stillimation is on a distinguished road

at my old job we used 4 Maxtor 300Gigers connected to an iMac G4 and man thise things took some crazy punushment, we never turned them off and they just jept on trucken but they can get hot so be careful where you put them. and all that it is, is an IDE HD with a firewire port on the outside of the box so if the Firewire decideds to stop working all you have to do is take it apart and make it an internal
QUOTE Thanks
tootallUK

tootallUK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3 MacBook Air 1.7 i5 - also, Mac Mini and dead 12in iBook G4 (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnation25
I ended up getting the Maxtor 300GB external hard drive. I know I probably could have gotten one for cheaper but I bought it at a retail store because I didn't want to wait (my hard drive was getting eaten alive by videos). Does anyone have any info on these (is it a solid piece of equipment)?
I have a Maxtor 250 One-touch - so far, faultless as back-up AND storage medium... on my XP PC... hopefully when my Macs arrive TOMORROW (ordered 3 weeks ago from the website!!) there will be no probs either

PLUS, of course, Firewire will be quicker than my USB2
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVD Compressor's | Help setting up Mail »