New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Screen Cleaning

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

soulfire363

soulfire363 is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to figure out the best way to clean my macbook pro's com screen without damaging, smudging, leaving streaks, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
Gandalph

Gandalph has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.

Isopropyl Alcohol available from chemists. Not very expensive either.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I use monitor wipes from Staples.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Klear Screen - LCD & Plasma Screen Cleaner

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Here is an Apple KB article regarding proper cleaning techniques for Macs. I follow their instructions when I need to do it and my screen always comes out nice and clean. If you haven't done it in a while, it might take a while longer.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

gagnerants is a jewel in the roughgagnerants is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro

I wide down the screen with a cloth at first then I spray a little eye glass cleaner on it then wipe down to dry it.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

i use the same spray that came with my burberry glasses....works frikin great!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalph View Post
Isopropyl Alcohol available from chemists. Not very expensive either.
That's a bad idea, could lead to damage.

I use a microfiber cloth to wipe away all the dust first, then dampen it a bit to get rid of the more persistent blemishes.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post

I use a microfiber cloth to wipe away all the dust first, then dampen it a bit to get rid of the more persistent blemishes.
Agreed. Try to keep chemicals off of your screen. You should need nothing more than water (in small quantities).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Gandalph

Gandalph has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
I've been using it for five years on a HP f1703 screen and it's still as good as new. The booklet that came with the monitor recommends it.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalph View Post
I've been using it for five years on a HP f1703 screen and it's still as good as new. The booklet that came with the monitor recommends it.
Perhaps, but the link I provided earlier explicitly states that you not, "...clean the screen with a cleaner containing alcohol or acetone."

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« sleeping in incase sleeve? | Entourage as Default Email for Iwork Apps? »