New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

System Maintenance

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Basileus

A few questions:

1. Coming from a Windows machine, I'm used to using a series of system tune ups, check-ups, and other utilities to keep the OS running at its best. Is there a need for similar regimens in OS X, and, if so, what do you all recommend?

2. Is adware/spyware software needed on a Mac?

3. How prevalent are Mac-specific viruses? Is a Mac antivirus program a good investment regardless?
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

1. Get OnyX - The one stop shop for Mac maintainance (http://www.titanium.free.fr/english.html)

2. No.

3. No viruses exist for OS X. You don't need an antivirus program.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Honestly, if your machine is on all the time, you don't need anything. OS X will run every maintenance program it needs on its own.

If you don't, then running Onyx or Cocktail will make sure everything is done. You only need to run it every so often.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb
Honestly, if your machine is on all the time, you don't need anything. OS X will run every maintenance program it needs on its own.

If you don't, then running Onyx or Cocktail will make sure everything is done. You only need to run it every so often.

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Macs as well and just started a general maintenance routine myself. I am curious if you guys thing I am going about it the right way.

I don't have my iBook on all the time so it doesn't run the cron scripts on its own as I understand. So, once a month I use MacJanitor to run the cron scripts and I us disk utility to repair permissions. Other than the odd Backup of my data that is all I do.

Is this enough?

Ciao,

Jordan
QUOTE Thanks
thermidor

thermidor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB

You can buy AV software for the Mac, but as I understand it, all this does is stops you unwittingly passing on any viruses to those poor PC users.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

just please dont use norton products if you must use a virus app.
there are lots of apps for maintenance, if you go with onyx, be very careful.
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
just please dont use norton products if you must use a virus app.
why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
there are lots of apps for maintenance, if you go with onyx, be very careful.
why? i use onyx sometimes. why do u suggest i shouldnt use it?
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

Since the rise of OSX, Norton has been a terrible bit of software which just does horrible things to your computer resulting in making more problems than it solves. As for the anti virus software, it just slows your machine down.

!!! THEIR ARE NO VIRUSES FOR OSX !!!!

Onyx is a nice program but be careful with the clean up function for deleting DS files, system files and such. as this is not needed and can cause problems.

I think this is what Macman was also talking about ?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

yes, you have no idea how many new mac users get onyx, and get click happy and select everything, then I get a call "*woirried voice* my mac wont startup. what do I do?
onyx is a good app, great in fact, but not for beginners or new mac users, if you dont know what it does, leave it alone, pretend it doesnt exist.
QUOTE Thanks
*SquALED*

Owa Macman, I bought NAV when I got my iMac....Oh well, put it down to Mac Newbness and just thinking you need it after PCs for so long. I'll take your advice about onyx. So am I right in saying osx will maintain itself?? - Sq
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

it will if its on 24/7 the cron jobs run at weird times

other than that use one of the programs mentioned
QUOTE Thanks
Thud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bobbins

!!! THEIR ARE NO VIRUSES FOR OSX !!!!

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/securit...9164062,00.htm

"Ducklin said Opener disables Mac OS X's built in firewall, creates a back door so the malware author can control the computer remotely, locates any passwords stored on the hard drive and downloads a password cracker called JohnTheRipper.

According to Ducklin, Opener tries to spread by copying itself to any drive that is mounted to the infected computer. This could be a local drive, part of a local network or a remote computer.

Most worryingly, according to Ducklin, this could be the start of a spate of malware that uses Mac OS Xs scripting features against its users."
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by *SquALED*
Owa Macman, I bought NAV when I got my iMac....Oh well, put it down to Mac Newbness and just thinking you need it after PCs for so long. I'll take your advice about onyx. So am I right in saying osx will maintain itself?? - Sq
if your mac is on 24/7 or at least betweebn 3 and 5 am, it will, the only thing it wont do is repair permissions, you have to do that using disk utility or an above mentioned app.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

The linked article *only* talks about the things this rootkit (not a virus) does to a person's computer, once it is on it, and doesn't discuss how it gets onto a computer in the first place other than by manually installing it (which you'd also need root access to do - which is disabled by default in OS X.)

It might be malicious, but unless it is possible/easy for folks to accidentally install it (like all of the Windows spyware/malware), it is not a threat, any more than than 'sudo rm -rf /' is.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

exactly. that sudo rm -rf/ thing is funny when someone miusinterprets something and tries to 'fix' a problem by doing this.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Your opinion of "reconditioned" | os x updates? »