New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MSPaint equivalent for Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Basileus

I'm a recent switcher (iBook G4 12.1) in need of a bare-bones image editor (hopefully freeware) with features equal to Microsoft's tried and true Paint program. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

www.macgimp.org

Better than Paint, more like Photoshop. Absolutely free.
QUOTE Thanks
WhyJay?

WhyJay? is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mini 1.25 Ghz, 40GB HD, 512MB Ram, 32MB video, 8X SuperDrive, 80GB external USB drive

If your iBook came with appleworks, there's a drawing program included in that suite. :black:
QUOTE Thanks
JRV

JRV will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltbanana314
www.macgimp.org

Better than Paint, more like Photoshop. Absolutely free.
i went to check out MacGimp but it's no longer free.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

****!

GIMP.app (http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/) + X11 (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/x11/) will work, but not as well as MacGIMP.

This is one of the reasons I hate the GNU GPL. I think that closed-source binaries of software should be free and the source code (which can be modified, but not redistributed) should cost money.

In the case of MacGIMP, I think they have the source available (which you can build from, but that costs time and processing power) but the binaries cost money. It's backwards.
QUOTE Thanks
Basileus

What about something called Graphic Converter? How does it compare, and is it freeware?
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

what really erks me about macGIMP is that they are acctually charging for open source software , it makes no sense at all really ..

if you want a ms style paint prog , tuxpaint for the mac is similar . even though it has a kiddie theme to it .

QUOTE Thanks
Wish_4_A_Mac

Wish_4_A_Mac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" 1.5ghz PB,1gb RAM,64mb ATI,80gb HD+PowerMac G4 867mhz,640mb RAM,60gb HD+AirPort xpress+15gb Ipod

I was having problems looking for something like MSpaint. I was about to look for something freeware to download, when I then read through a similar forum, and it appears "graphic converter" can be used as much to create images as it can to convert them. Its shareware (I recommend paying though!) but was bundled with Mac OS X on my PowerBook. It's got an exhaustive amount of functions and settings as well as some powerful features.

Apple: Why compromise? :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
mangoSharingan

I don't really like GIMP because it takes too long to load (anything which takes more than like 3-4 seconds to load, just to quickly edit an image is too long for me, lol). I just want something simple and fast like Paint too so that I can resize and copy/paste images, not something more advanced like Paintshop Pro. But since there's nothing else, there's no option but for me to use it
QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

rberry88 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

Have you looked at Photoshop Elements? It's not free but its a nice snappy app that will do what you want.

Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.
QUOTE Thanks
Aarow

I don't know if i'm right, but i think they still have a free GIMP on gimp.org
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« accessing work between user accounts | Address Book question »