New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

2 Q's: Changing User Name & iTunes genre icon

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bookworm

Bookworm is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" | Intel Core Duo 2.66 GHz | 300 GB HD

Hi!

I finally took the plunge and am now the proud owner of a MacBook Pro 17". I haven't used a Mac in eons, and even then, it was in a computer lab at school, so my Mac acumen is definitely at newbie status. I've had some disappointments, but, as was pointed out to me, I'm still thinking like a Windows user.

My first question is with regards to my user name/shortname. I want to change it. I've tried changing it already, using the instructions at Apple's support site. Mac OS X: How to change user short name or home directory name
It didn't exactly go smoothly and my old shortname was still there no matter what I did to get rid of it. I basically want to remove any evidence of that name on my computer whatsoever. Based on my experiences so far, (like all of my downloaded CD's disappearing...figured that one out though, so they are back), I'm beginning to think the easiest means of doing this will be to reinstall the OS, etc. I really don't have much on my Mac yet (other than the aforementioned CD's), so in terms of backing up stuff, there isn't much. And I haven't entirely "moved in" yet, so I haven't gotten a lot of settings customized yet. Soo....my question is, what would any of you Mac gurus suggest in terms of getting rid of my old user name. Should I reinstall or not?

My second question concerns the genre icons in iTunes. I downloaded a Louis Armstrong CD and it was identified as "Easy Listening". I don't mind the designation, but it seems that iTunes doesn't have an icon for this category. I found an icon and attempted to put it in the "genres.plist" but it doesn't work. Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks, in advance, for any and all advice!
QUOTE Thanks
umang7888

umang7888 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 GHz 2 GB RAM 250 GB HDD NViDA GeForce 8600 GMT

I don't know about your itunes problem's solution...
But with changing the name of your Home Directory, you can just simply create a new Admin Account with the name and everything that you want and then delete the old user account completely. I hope that helps!

iPod 5.5 Gen Video 30 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB |Airport Express |
MacBook Pro Penryn 2.5 GHz | 2 GB RAM | NVida GeFroce 8600 GMT|
QUOTE Thanks
MacJenny

MacJenny is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,

I don't have an answer for the iTunes question, but I had to change my short name myself recently.

Here is the link I used. It took me all of maybe 5 minutes.
Changing the short username in Leopard | Mac OS X | Macworld
You'll want to follow the last set of directions "The Full Monty."

Edit* Credit goes to Louishen for that link, he posted it in another thread.

15" aluminum unibody MacBook Pro, 32gb White iPhone 3GS, 160gb iPod
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A Good idea? | Spotty Start-Up. »