New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

User Accounts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chauncey

Chauncey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 3.06 GHz, 4GB Ram, 1 TB HD, OS X 1.6.3

I have a question about User Accounts... How separate are they? In Windows there were many things you could do to affect another user - like uninstalling software. My partner and I are planning to buy the super expensive iMac and share. We both have our own MobileMe accounts. I need to know that we can have our separate user accounts sync with our separate MobileMe accounts. If we install Entorage, will we be able to have separate instances of the software for each of us? Or will we have to share? Will our VMWare Fusion have separate settings for each of our user accounts? I appreciate any help.

Sean
QUOTE Thanks
idsamdg

idsamdg is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac, macbook, iphone4S, ipad2

Hi There,

Congratulations on making the switch! In Mac OSX separate user accounts have their own setting for MobileMe, Entourage and VMWare Fusion - so you and your wife will be able to have totally separate identities.

Hope that helps! If you need anything else, give me a shout.

-IDSAMDG

iMessage me: bryanwagneradair@me.com
QUOTE Thanks
Chauncey

Thank you very much for your help!

Sean

P.S.

I have one more question that I assume will get the same answer. We have separate iTunes accounts. That will also not be a problem, correct? I'd rather not mix them on the same iTunes software. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
idsamdg

idsamdg is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac, macbook, iphone4S, ipad2

Yep - iTunes accounts are separate.

-IDSAMDG

iMessage me: bryanwagneradair@me.com
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

Accounts basically separate everything. However, it's easy to share files back and forth if you need to.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
Chauncey

Again, I assume this is possible, I just would like a confirmation. If we have separate user accounts on one Mac now, if we were to purchase another Mac in the future, would it be "Time Machine simple" to transfer just one user account to the second Mac?

Sean
QUOTE Thanks
ron4mac

ron4mac has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauncey View Post
Again, I assume this is possible, I just would like a confirmation. If we have separate user accounts on one Mac now, if we were to purchase another Mac in the future, would it be "Time Machine simple" to transfer just one user account to the second Mac?
Yes, it would be simple. When you setup the new Mac, it will ask if you want to transfer your files from another Mac. You'll be able to select which account you want to copy over.
QUOTE Thanks
Juan Largo

Juan Largo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauncey View Post
I have a question about User Accounts... How separate are they? In Windows there were many things you could do to affect another user - like uninstalling software. My partner and I are planning to buy the super expensive iMac and share. We both have our own MobileMe accounts. I need to know that we can have our separate user accounts sync with our separate MobileMe accounts. If we install Entorage, will we be able to have separate instances of the software for each of us? Or will we have to share? Will our VMWare Fusion have separate settings for each of our user accounts? I appreciate any help.

Sean
A lot depends on how the user accounts are set up. You can assign Administrator privileges to both accounts, or just one. Installing and uninstalling software is limited to accounts that have Administrator privileges, but any account can run software that is installed on the system.

You and your partner need to reach an agreement about who will have an Admin account. If you both do, then you will have to keep each other informed about what you are doing or are about to do.

iMac G3
600 MHz
OS 10.3.9
QUOTE Thanks
ron4mac

ron4mac has a spectacular aura about

I recommend that you setup three accounts. An administrative one and two standard ones - one for you and one for your partner. Use the administrative one when you need to do some system configuration, installations or updates. For day-to-day use, your standard accounts will be all you need.
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Largo View Post
Installing and uninstalling software is limited to accounts that have Administrator privileges, but any account can run software that is installed on the system.
That's not completely true. Any account can install software, but it requires an administrator password. If someone else will be wanting to install stuff, you can enter the password when needed.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is installing new AirPort card an option? | iPhoto and picture upload question »