New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Problems already

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jakett

jakett is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 Aluminum Unibody

I'm a newbie so bare with me. I bought my new macbook yesterday and it was going fine until i tried to plug my external hard drive. I forgot what it said about the hd but after that it turned all my folders blue and it takes forever to open them. My Macintosh hd cant open unless i open it up in finder. please help i would like to correct this problem because its making me uneasy. Thank you in advance
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Spotlight (the service that searches your hard drive) is likely indexing your external hard drive. You can view its progress by clicking the magnifying glass in the upper right corner of the menu bar.

Let it go and it will eventually return to normal speed once it finishes building indexes.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
jakett

jakett is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 Aluminum Unibody

not only does it do it to my external hard drive it does it to my internal hard drives and all its folders
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Yup, it will. Just let it finish up and you'll be good to go. Now, if you've forcibly shut the machine down while it was busy doing its thing, you might have prolonged it or caused a problem with the disk structure.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« White vs. Aluminum Macbook? + WinVista question | Whats the worst that could happen - literally? »