New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Save attachment to particular sub folder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chamster

chamster is on a distinguished road

Just found this forum. Trying to switch but I don't know if I'm going to be able to pull it off. Still waiting for the lightbulb to pop on.

So my latest issue is this: I'm trying out Mail. I got my emails converted and moved over. But here's my question: How can you save an attachment to a subfolder? When I click Save as... I am given the option to save the file to my Documents folder, Desktop, etc. But I have lots of subfolders inside Documents and I want to save attachments into them directly. I don't want to save them all to some pre-designated folder, then have to go into that folder and move them all to where I really want them to be.

Since this form is called the "Switcher Hangout" I should be able to say "well in Windows..." without someone yelling at me. In Windows I right-click the attachment, click Save as..., then browse to whatever folder I want to put it in. Makes sense to me.

I know Mac OS isn't Windows and isn't supposed to be. I assume there's a good reasond that Mail handles attachments the way it does -- I just need to adjust my thinking and I'll realize it's better. Fair enough. I'll try. But if someone has an explanation for the logic or "intuitiveness" behind it, please enlighten me.

Or, if there's a way to save attachments directly to subfolders then please let me know and I'll shut up.

Thanks in advance. I don't mean to sound cynical. I'm really trying here.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

When you get the prompt you can save where you like, just browse through and pick the folder you want. If you open mail preferences you can specify any folder you like to download to as well, so that you don't get the prompt each time.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Pomeroy

Pomeroy is a jewel in the roughPomeroy is a jewel in the rough

Click the little triangle to expand your options on where to save.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 2.jpg (46.8 KB, 20 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chamster

chamster is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick responses. I didn't go for the little triangle thing -- I was just looking under "Places" and figured that was where you're supposed to choose where to save it to. But I gues "Places" mean more than just some places, it's actually a way of referring to certain places that are used alot. And i can see the value in that.

Well I can check that obstacle off the list. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hardware & software Compatibility | Slow Safari »