New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

It's Here!!! ibook...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BigBear

BigBear has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: ibook G4 14in

YEAH!!!!!
I'm typing this on my new ibook!!
I'm soo freakin excited :mac:
This is my first mac and my first laptop. I'm still in the amazement stage, so I haven't been able to explore much. I took some pics, so once I have them loaded and hosted I'll try and post them. (anyone recomend a free host?)

My first impressions are that this 'puter is bada**! Seems to be working just fine; no dead pixels.

I had to run out an grab an AOL disk at target; I thought AOL was preloaded on the machine somewhere (I was having trouble automatically registering initially). Also I'm having to press the appleKey and E to eject disks, it doesn't seem like the f12(eject) key responds properly??
Oh well, I'm really happy. I'm gonna load iwork and office for mac tonight and thats about it. I'll probably download onyx, cocktail, sidetrack next week once I'm a little more familier with what I'm doing.

Any beginner suggestions? Where should I begin exploring??

More to come, i'm sure....

Jason :mac:

my apple is bling *tisk tisk, you shouldn't have any bling.. just nice things*
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

you can just up load then to the forum (hit the go advanced tab // manage attachments // then upload it. ) or www.photobucket.com
QUOTE Thanks
Robbob91

did you hold the F12 key in for a few seconds?
Mine you can't just press it, have to hold it in.

Rob
QUOTE Thanks
warrenbert

Download "Sidetrack" IMMEDIATELY! You'll be 10X more productive. If you haven't opened Office yet, try www.neooffice.org or www.openoffice.org first. Free, opensource document, spreadsheet and presentation software that is totally Office compatible (unlike Appleworks).

May the source be with you...
QUOTE Thanks
BigBear

hm.... ok so i try ejecting disks using the f12. i hold it down but nothing happens?? is there some setting for this? hitting the apple & E key works but f12 doesn't seem to do it. odd.......any suggestions?

QUOTE Thanks
saus_mo

Hey, I dont own a mac but isn't there some options that allow you to switch the 'F' keys from the functions (such as volume and eject) to just the keys if that makes sense. You might wanna see if they are switched on.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Saus mo is right:

If you go to System Preferences and then Keyboard & Mouse, you should see an option called 'Use the F1-F12 keys for custom actions'.

If there is a tick in that box, the eject feature won't work...
QUOTE Thanks
BigBear

still no luck; i checked the system preferences under mouse/keyboard and there is no option for f12/eject; even when i check the box for using custom keys nothing happens.....anymore ideas??

thanks for all your help guys!

QUOTE Thanks
saus_mo

If your not too far from an Apple shop or whatever, take it down there. I dont own a mac (yet) but thats what i would do. Better to be safe than sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

How about when you hook up an external keyboard? Does the F12 key respond then? (It doesn't have to be a mac specific keyboard, any old USB keyboard will do and the F12 key should also act as an eject key)
QUOTE Thanks
BigBear

no usb keyboard; i may just stop into the apple store on the way home from work or on my lunch; think this could be solved with a quick call to apple?

QUOTE Thanks
jessica

Can't help with your issue, but I want to congratulate you on your new ibook!
Now we want pictures!
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

From Apple's web site:

Phone Support
Call 1-800-275-2273 for technical assistance. Apple offers complimentary phone support to eligible customers as outlined in the product warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
BigBear

jessica - i'll get on the pics asap; btw Happy Birthday!! :p

caribiner23 - thanks; saved me the trouble

i'm loving airport extreme; i get wireless at work and it looks like my neighbors at home do to! :yinyang:

QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

actually, If you just updated to 10.3.8––After the restart that it requires, you need to do another restart to solve the problem.

It is a known issue with 10.3.8, and after the second restart it will go away.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« house designing software? | Another "I just bought it" thread »