New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Should I wait to buy?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Rayovac

 
Member Since: May 12, 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3
Rayovac is on a distinguished road

Rayovac is offline
I currently have a pc laptop and I'm looking to make the switch to a mac. I'm planning on getting a 13'' macbook, but I don't know if I should wait to buy one. Can I go ahead and buy a macbook or should I wait until after the WWDC? I know there are rumors of a new operating system and I don't want to get a laptop and then have to immediately upgrade to a new OS. I just don't want to be one of the suckers who pays full price for something and then a week later they come out with something even better. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

 
vansmith's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 19, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 17,671
vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

vansmith is offline
If you have that logic, you may never buy your laptop. True, Apple could come out with new hardware at WWDC but even if they do, the hardware you get now won't be bad. Also, if SL is given a release date (it won't be released at WWDC), it may very well be far enough off that you would have to buy it full price anyway.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

 
Member Since: Apr 09, 2009
Location: Ithaca NY
Posts: 2,073
DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

DarkestRitual is offline
I just got my unibody macbook at the beginning of may/end of april... even if snow leopard comes out/the macbooks get a speed bump... who cares?! THIS THING FLIES! I'm down
QUOTE Thanks
jascott18

 
Member Since: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 21
jascott18 is on a distinguished road

jascott18 is offline
I'm in the same position as you rayovac. However, I have decided to wait out May and buy in early June, my reason being that I am a student and I want to cash in on Apple's summer promotion. Also, like you said, I think it's worth a ~25 day wait for a potential speed bump increase on the Macbooks at WWDC.
QUOTE Thanks
Rayovac

 
Member Since: May 12, 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3
Rayovac is on a distinguished road

Rayovac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jascott18 View Post
I'm in the same position as you rayovac. However, I have decided to wait out May and buy in early June, my reason being that I am a student and I want to cash in on Apple's summer promotion. Also, like you said, I think it's worth a ~25 day wait for a potential speed bump increase on the Macbooks at WWDC.
What is the summer promotion? I'm a student too and currently the only discount they offer for the Macbook is $50 off and 10% off upgrades. Are they going to have a better deal this summer?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

 
vansmith's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 19, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 17,671
vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

vansmith is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayovac View Post
What is the summer promotion? I'm a student too and currently the only discount they offer for the Macbook is $50 off and 10% off upgrades. Are they going to have a better deal this summer?
Last year, they offered a "free" iPod with purchase (at least here in Canada). I say "free" because I didn't get reimbursed for the taxes.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
jascott18

 
Member Since: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 21
jascott18 is on a distinguished road

jascott18 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayovac View Post
What is the summer promotion? I'm a student too and currently the only discount they offer for the Macbook is $50 off and 10% off upgrades. Are they going to have a better deal this summer?
Well, the way I see it is that I can sell any free Ipod I score off the promotion, because the one I have works fine now. That's basically a ~200 dollar discount right there, and also 2-3 weeks seems like a waitable period for a potential speed increase/Snow Leopard release. As far as the actual discount, I don't think it will change at all(still $100 off high end Macbook).
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,500
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

 
Eric559's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 18, 2007
Location: Central California
Posts: 3,185
Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Eric559 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
If you have that logic, you may never buy your laptop. True, Apple could come out with new hardware at WWDC but even if they do, the hardware you get now won't be bad. Also, if SL is given a release date (it won't be released at WWDC), it may very well be far enough off that you would have to buy it full price anyway.
Great piece of advice.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Installing a pkg, but seeing no uninstall option | Microsoft Entourage - CSV Contact Import »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Buy now or wait till WWDC? shinndigg Apple Notebooks 4 05-11-2009 02:36 AM
iWeb link text too dark! Not visible... Christopher Web Design and Hosting 3 01-07-2008 12:41 PM
Buy now or wait? SigonWulf Schweb's Lounge 11 11-21-2007 12:53 PM
Buy now or wait texast Switcher Hangout 13 03-29-2007 01:11 PM
To buy or wait [iMac Intel] goobimama Switcher Hangout 8 05-09-2006 10:42 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?