New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Newbie Question, Please be nice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dandy

I am currently a PC user, and considering purchasing the minimac this month.
I am looking at the deal from cancomuk which includes keyboard,mouse and a 17inch tft for 500.

I would like to know how easy it is for me to run both my pc and the minimac of a switching unit. Can anyone recommend one and better still am i on the right lines......

I have seen ones which control monitor mouse and keyboard from the same unit.... Surely is it that simple....????

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandy
I have seen ones which control monitor mouse and keyboard from the same unit.... Surely is it that simple....????

Checkout Belkin.com for a KVM Switch, if you are using an a 17in Apple LCD, you are going to need one that switches DVI and USB, the model that does this is currently out of stock from Belkin though, check ebay. They aren't cheap.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

We accept newbies with open arms! :dummy:
QUOTE Thanks
dandy

cheers

just checked ebuyer, they got one for 60 quid,,,... plenty in stock thanks for the advice.
QUOTE Thanks
dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
Checkout Belkin.com for a KVM Switch, if you are using an a 17in Apple LCD, you are going to need one that switches DVI and USB, the model that does this is currently out of stock from Belkin though, check ebay. They aren't cheap.

when you say dvi, do you mean PS/2
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandy
when you say dvi, do you mean PS/2
Nope. DVI is a video connector, for your screen. PS/2 is PC Mouse/Keyboard connector, which is nonexistant in the Mac world.

What mynameis meant is that you would need a KVM that has DVI for the display and USB for mouse/keyboard.
Allthough it's still not entirely correct...the discontinued 17" Apple display has an ADC-connector, which was a proprietary connector (it carried video, USB and power over one connector and cable) Apple used with it's old Display series, and which the mini doesn't have anyway. There are KVM switches for that too, but they are pretty rare and even more expensive than DVI/USB-KVM-switches.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

ADC is a digital connector like DVI. If he has the adapter that allows him to plug an ADC monitor into the DVI port on the mac mini, then all he would need is a DVI KVM. Using a VGA KVM is just impratical because you would have to buy a converter that turns the ADC Apple monitor to have VGA inputs, which is very expensive. A similar device that does DVI to VGA costs around $300(http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=0151-VGAT).
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

I really do hate the way Apple does monitors.

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyvn
I really do hate the way Apple does monitors.
I'm just glad they realised ADC was stupid and switched to DVI

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Dandy: Do you have an Apple 17" LCD?

Or is it just any 17" LCD?

I didn't see you mention an apple LCD in your original post, but the discussion that followed (about ADC etc) would be irrelevant if you got a different LCD that doesn't use a ADC port.

So to clarify:
----------------
You would need a KVM that supports USB (for the keyboard and mouse) and whatever kind of display you have / are getting.

If you get an older apple display, you'll need a KVM that supports ADC.

If you get a newer LCD (apple or otherwise) you'll probably need one that supports DVI or possibly VGA connections.
QUOTE Thanks
dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Dandy: Do you have an Apple 17" LCD?

Or is it just any 17" LCD?

I didn't see you mention an apple LCD in your original post, but the discussion that followed (about ADC etc) would be irrelevant if you got a different LCD that doesn't use a ADC port.

So to clarify:
----------------
You would need a KVM that supports USB (for the keyboard and mouse) and whatever kind of display you have / are getting.

If you get an older apple display, you'll need a KVM that supports ADC.

If you get a newer LCD (apple or otherwise) you'll probably need one that supports DVI or possibly VGA connections.

Munich, The only website i can find doing a deal with monitor is over at www.cancomuk.com, I can not tell from this weather it is an apple screen or not, maybee you would be kind enough to look for me and then advise me what KVM i would require.

sorry to be more precise on the link http://www.cancomuk.com/products/sea...e&fromlist=yes

Cheers guys
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

noit is not
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

That monitor has a VGA connector, you won't need a DVI switch just a VGA one will work. Sorry about recommending a DVI switch, I thought you were talking about a different package, one that came with an Apple display. You'll still want a KVM that supports USB.
QUOTE Thanks
jonah002

The best way to go is Hide your PC in a closet, connect it to your network and when you need to use it just use RDC (a PC user should know what this is - Remote Desktop Connection). The client is free at mactopia.com and it connects to Windows XP great from your mac. No reason to spend money on a switch, just access your pc from your mac mini. And hide it in the closet so no one knows your dirty secret of being a pc user.

JC
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yeah, as mynameis said:

A basic KVM with VGA connector and USB ports will do the trick!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Transfer Applications From G3 to iBook | Can't Access PC From iBook »