New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Using macs in education

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

teachermichael

teachermichael is on a distinguished road

I'd like my students (kids aged from 10 -14) to develop their portfolios of work and have been encouraging them to do so electronically. Currently most have developed their own wikis, and this is working well enough - given the limitations of wikis for this purpose. We use macbooks (purchased within the last two years) and students have ready access to macbooks when they need. We have a reliable server and network (wireless) so all the hardware is in place. My concern is that wikis have obvious limitations. I had a play with iweb recently and saw enormous potential as an e-portfolio of work. Major problem was that I couldn't see a way to post documents (spreadsheets, word processing, whatever). The use of image, video and music was fantastic and user friendly (but also available through the wikis, though more 'clunkily') but the ability to post documents (easy in a wiki) is essential. Have I missed something? Any suggestions? Is there another way entirely for students to develop e-portfolios?
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

Have them start blogs?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

yeah pretty much start a blog or get blackboard. Except that cost monies. >_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
ron4mac

ron4mac will become famous soon enough

A couple free packages that come to mind are b2Evolution and TikiWiki.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which is better? White Macbook or Macbook Pro? | setting up Mail »