New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Locked Drives

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

simbey1982

hello first time poster

I have a couple of imacs running 9.2 whom are doing something rather strange. Whenever i try to write anything or a program tries to write anything to the hard drive it gives me an error saying that the write operation cannot be completed because the drive is locked. Please advise as to where i turn this off at.
:cool:
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Select you your hard drive icon, then do a get info. Check to see if you have the lock check box selected.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

I don't think that is possible in OS9 rman !! If you have Norton or Tech Tool pro and ran them then they may be able to solve the problem. Another option is to re-format the hard drive and reinstall everything. Can't think of anything else right now.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

The only other thing I can think off is when you run out of disk space the system will not let you write to the disk.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
simbey1982

Yeah....i was figuring it was some setting since it was like 4 machines that it was doing it on.....ill give norton a try....any other suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

If this is happening on 4 machines then you (or somebody) must have performed a task that locked the drive. Being in OS 9, then it was probably done in a disk utility program. Retrace your steps and see what has taken place.
(you do have a backup…right?)

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for a program that makes dvds from windows files wmv. | Another switcher »