New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I switched... closing windows?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pstauff

I was once a Mac OS user many years ago. I started on a Apple IIc and went all the way up to System 7. Now I have a home wireless Windows network with networked XP machines, laser and inkjet printers. I am a VERY knowledgable PC user. I've been a professional web developer since 1996. I've somewhat stayed in touch with OS X, since family members still use Macs. Anyway, after buying a Mini iPod for my wife and an iPod Shuffle, I fell back in love with Apple. They just design a beautiful package, from the hardware to the interface. So I bought a iBook G4, 12". I immediately bought a 256 simm and upgraded it. It is superior to my HP and Toshiba in so many ways. (Battery life, low temps, boot-up speed, quietness) I can easily use my network shares and print to my networked printers right out of the box.

A few questions...

1) in XP you can close an application and its active window with one click. In OS X I seem to have to click on the application name and then click on quit application. This is 2 clicks. While not a huge effort, it gets kind of annoying. For instance for Safari I click on "Safari" in the toolbar and then click "Quit Safari." If I click the red circle to close the active window, it closes the window, but leaves the application still running. I know I can use Command-Q, but I like using a mouse.

2) Is CTRL-click the same thing as a right click in Windows?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

1) If you click and hold on the icon on the dock a little contextual menu will popup and you can hit quit

2) Yes

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

1) Yes, it needs a little time to get used to the fact that closing a window doesn't necessarily close an application, though that depends, because some apps do close when closing the main window. I guess your Mac OS7 times are long gone, because that behaviour is typical for Mac OS7, 8, 9 and X. I never worked on anything earlier than 7...
You already pointed out 2 ways to close an app: via the menu and command+Q. Another one would be ctrl-click (or right-click) on the app's icon in the dock and choose Quit. That's still 2 clicks though. Can't think of any 1-click way to close an app that doesn't close when the window is closed.

2) Yes, ctrl-click is exactly the same than right click. Just hook up a 2-button-scroll-mouse, and you'll see that it works perfectly, including the scroll wheel for scrolling in a window. And that's WITHOUT any driver or the Windows-typical sequence ("found new device", "installing driver for new device" blabla).

Enjoy your Mac experience! :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
pstauff

Very cool and works great. There are a lot of "hidden" features in OS X. I am discovering new stuff every day. I'm sure MS will copy even more of it in Longhorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
1) If you click and hold on the icon on the dock a little contextual menu will popup and you can hit quit
QUOTE Thanks
pstauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
I guess your Mac OS7 times are long gone, because that behaviour is typical for Mac OS7, 8, 9 and X. I never worked on anything earlier than 7...
It's been a long while. I last had a Mac Classic II.

Quote:
2) Yes, ctrl-click is exactly the same than right click. Just hook up a 2-button-scroll-mouse, and you'll see that it works perfectly, including the scroll wheel for scrolling in a window. And that's WITHOUT any driver or the Windows-typical sequence ("found new device", "installing driver for new device" blabla).
That is good to know. Most of the time I won't have a mouse hooked up, since it's a laptop and I move around a lot when I use it.

Quote:
Enjoy your Mac experience! :cool:
I am, for sure.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery Life & waking from sleep mode | My Story, My Review »