New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Finder layout

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

didymus

didymus will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

I've searched for information on this topic here and on the Web generally without success.

Having switched from the PC, the one thing I find slightly problematical on the mac is the layout of files in the Finder. I'm accustomed to the layout of Explorer in Windows, where, within a folder, sub-folders are listed first, followed by normal document files. In Finder, within a folder, sub-folders and files are listed in one common sequence and it doesn't seem possible to change this. I can set Organize by type... at the top level in finder, but then it doesn't seem to be cascaded to the sub-folders.

Help appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

Right click on the bar at the top that says NAME, DATE MODIFIED, and stuff like that.

From there, select SHOW VIEW OPTIONS.

Make sure that KIND is checked.

Once it is checked, a column should appear in your FINDER window with the kind of files that are inside the folder, including sub-folders.

If the sub-folders are not coming up earlier than the documents, click on KIND again to make it come up to the top permanently. Notice the little grey arrow that points UP or DOWN next to the every organization method. That is how you change the arrangement.

Hope that helped.
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Icon View, List View, Column View & CoverFlow to try in Finder ~ One should suit you .
I always set Finder to Column View then all the subfolders will be in view when the main folder is selected.
MenuBar > View > Show View options. The options change depending on which view you have Finder opened in..

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
Pomeroy

Pomeroy is a jewel in the roughPomeroy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by didymus View Post
I've searched for information on this topic here and on the Web generally without success.

Having switched from the PC, the one thing I find slightly problematical on the mac is the layout of files in the Finder. I'm accustomed to the layout of Explorer in Windows, where, within a folder, sub-folders are listed first, followed by normal document files. In Finder, within a folder, sub-folders and files are listed in one common sequence and it doesn't seem possible to change this. I can set Organize by type... at the top level in finder, but then it doesn't seem to be cascaded to the sub-folders.

Help appreciated!
The easiest way I know of to get the folders to all show at the top is to rename them with a Space at the beginning, Just click on the folder and hit "return" then put a space in front of the name.. Now with that said you may find you don't want them there when you get out of the windows mindset.. If you put them at the top you won't be able to get to them with one click like you can with them in alphabetical order as they are now. Let's say you want to find a file or folder in Documents that starts with a "G". Click on Documents and hit the g key, you will be right near the file or folder you want,, use the down arrow key to go right to what you want. Much faster than Scrolling... Spotlight will be even faster if you get in the habit of just hitting "command + Space bar" then type the first few letters of the file or app you want then hit "return".
QUOTE Thanks
didymus

didymus will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

...the useful advice. I'm away from my Mac at the moment and reduced to using a PC (sob, sob), put I'll put these ideas into effect when I get home.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Accessing Mac email while running Windows via Bootcamp | Need To Know How To Have A Video Chat With Msn Messenger »