Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AdiumX

Billys95
    Smile AdiumX
    I have had my Mac (my 1st ever 1) for 6 days now & after trying MSN messenger for Mac, Mercury Messenger & Adium X, I have decided on keeping Adium & getting rid of the rest. I think it is excellent. Just wondering what other people use?

Cheers

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OS10.12, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OS10.12 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    For doing multi Chat Adium X is one of the best I have used on both the PC or Mac. I also like Proteus but it costs where Adium X is free. Also I have had better luck with Adium X and Direct Connects than with Proteus. Since I do a lot of Transfering Pics with friends in different states, Adium X did it for me. If you are just using AIM then IChat works great but if you need Yahoo, MSN, ICQ ETC. Adium X is hard to beat. There is also another multi chat client called Fire. I know it works very well.

Specs:
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    I've tried Proteus, Adium, Fire, Mercury, MSN, ICQ.

I ended up with Proteus after using Adium for a while. I think it's better, even if it's not free.
    And of course iChat.

Billys95
    Does ichat onlyworkwith AOL instant messenger?

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OS10.12, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OS10.12 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Yes, Ichat does .mac and AIM. Most of my close friends and family use AIM and with that it works with sending pictures where no other client will. but if you need MSN then you can not use Ichat.

Billys95
    Thats my problem, no one i know uses AIM, just MSN so it looks like I've spent 100 on an isight that will never get used. Although I think Mercury messenger will develop webcam support very soon....whether it will compatiable with different types of IM is a different question

Specs:
    Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
    Yes, that is sad that you don't get to enjoy the perks of having an iSight, when you have no one with another iSight or Aim. But if you're too desperate, I'm sure, you'll find someone to chat with using your iSight on the forums.

You could check out the app Delicious Library, just hold your DVDs up the iSight cam and presto, the program imports that DVD title into your library collection without even typing a thing.

Here's a link: http://www.delicious-monster.com/

Specs:
    Won't Yahoo Messenger work with ISight? I know the PC version works with cameras. Never really checked out the Mac version as I love multi Chat clients. I wonder if Adium or Proteus support cameras on Yahoo? Never tried it.

d-funct
    As far as I know only ichat supports the isight at the moment and after a bit of looking on the adium forums it seems that they will only support it when gaim (the underlying code) has support for it ... so it could be a long time

That said I love adiumX for me its been nothing but fast stable and easy to use, although it is missing a couple of features like a decent file transfer system (which should be in the next major release)

Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7
    Won't Yahoo Messenger work with ISight? I know the PC version works with cameras. Never really checked out the Mac version as I love multi Chat clients. I wonder if Adium or Proteus support cameras on Yahoo? Never tried it.
    Yes, Yahoo Messenger supports the iSight, but it tends to be a bit crashy (in my experience).

Adium doesn't support video chat now but they are planning to add it sometime way down the road via the gaim-vv project.

I don't keep up with Proteus enough to know their plans, but I know they don't support video chat now.

Specs:
    Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
    Speaking of transfers and stuff, anyone know where Adium supposedly downloads transferred files to? I can't figure it out for the life of me, and since most of my friends have AIM, it simply doesn't work with them. In case I transfer with other Adium people it'd be useful to know, though.
    'cause when it rains, you know it pours.

d-funct
    I think its defaults to the documents folder but I'm not 100%

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    the iSight works with Yahoo but you do not get very good picture quality and no audio
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Quote Originally Posted by Billys95
    Thats my problem, no one i know uses AIM, just MSN so it looks like I've spent 100 on an isight that will never get used. Although I think Mercury messenger will develop webcam support very soon....whether it will compatiable with different types of IM is a different question
    Why not use iSight with iChat? having 2 chat clients on should be no worries; I used to do that with ICQ and AIM + Pirch IRC back in my windows days

Specs:
    Imac G5
    I use mercury messenger because you can do video conference on it

Thread Information