New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

AdiumX

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Billys95

I have had my Mac (my 1st ever 1) for 6 days now & after trying MSN messenger for Mac, Mercury Messenger & Adium X, I have decided on keeping Adium & getting rid of the rest. I think it is excellent. Just wondering what other people use?

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

For doing multi Chat Adium X is one of the best I have used on both the PC or Mac. I also like Proteus but it costs where Adium X is free. Also I have had better luck with Adium X and Direct Connects than with Proteus. Since I do a lot of Transfering Pics with friends in different states, Adium X did it for me. If you are just using AIM then IChat works great but if you need Yahoo, MSN, ICQ ETC. Adium X is hard to beat. There is also another multi chat client called Fire. I know it works very well.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

I've tried Proteus, Adium, Fire, Mercury, MSN, ICQ.

I ended up with Proteus after using Adium for a while. I think it's better, even if it's not free.
And of course iChat.
QUOTE Thanks
Billys95

Does ichat onlyworkwith AOL instant messenger?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Yes, Ichat does .mac and AIM. Most of my close friends and family use AIM and with that it works with sending pictures where no other client will. but if you need MSN then you can not use Ichat.
QUOTE Thanks
Billys95

Thats my problem, no one i know uses AIM, just MSN so it looks like I've spent 100 on an isight that will never get used. Although I think Mercury messenger will develop webcam support very soon....whether it will compatiable with different types of IM is a different question
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Yes, that is sad that you don't get to enjoy the perks of having an iSight, when you have no one with another iSight or Aim. But if you're too desperate, I'm sure, you'll find someone to chat with using your iSight on the forums.

You could check out the app Delicious Library, just hold your DVDs up the iSight cam and presto, the program imports that DVD title into your library collection without even typing a thing.

Here's a link: http://www.delicious-monster.com/
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Won't Yahoo Messenger work with ISight? I know the PC version works with cameras. Never really checked out the Mac version as I love multi Chat clients. I wonder if Adium or Proteus support cameras on Yahoo? Never tried it.
QUOTE Thanks
d-funct

As far as I know only ichat supports the isight at the moment and after a bit of looking on the adium forums it seems that they will only support it when gaim (the underlying code) has support for it ... so it could be a long time

That said I love adiumX for me its been nothing but fast stable and easy to use, although it is missing a couple of features like a decent file transfer system (which should be in the next major release)
QUOTE Thanks
nanovivid

nanovivid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
Won't Yahoo Messenger work with ISight? I know the PC version works with cameras. Never really checked out the Mac version as I love multi Chat clients. I wonder if Adium or Proteus support cameras on Yahoo? Never tried it.
Yes, Yahoo Messenger supports the iSight, but it tends to be a bit crashy (in my experience).

Adium doesn't support video chat now but they are planning to add it sometime way down the road via the gaim-vv project.

I don't keep up with Proteus enough to know their plans, but I know they don't support video chat now.
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

Speaking of transfers and stuff, anyone know where Adium supposedly downloads transferred files to? I can't figure it out for the life of me, and since most of my friends have AIM, it simply doesn't work with them. In case I transfer with other Adium people it'd be useful to know, though.

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks
d-funct

I think its defaults to the documents folder but I'm not 100%
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

the iSight works with Yahoo but you do not get very good picture quality and no audio

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billys95
Thats my problem, no one i know uses AIM, just MSN so it looks like I've spent 100 on an isight that will never get used. Although I think Mercury messenger will develop webcam support very soon....whether it will compatiable with different types of IM is a different question
Why not use iSight with iChat? having 2 chat clients on should be no worries; I used to do that with ICQ and AIM + Pirch IRC back in my windows days
QUOTE Thanks
solidstalin

solidstalin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac G5

I use mercury messenger because you can do video conference on it
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« web browser | Newb to macs...awaiting ibook »