New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Permissions on External Drives

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drwhitley

Hello...
I just switched to Mac and have a problem with my two external hard drives permissions under OS X. Both are NTFS (Windows NT) formatted and I can read data from them fine, but they are Read Only and the Get Info dialog box doesn't allow any option to change this. Therefore, I can't write to them. What can I do?

Thanks!
Matthew
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

NTFS is read-only for the Mac, therefore, you can't do any changes except format the drive.

What you could do is copy all the data from the external HD to your Mac or PC, reformat the external HD with FAT32 and then move back the files to the external HD. This has the advantage that the drive can be used by both, PC and Mac, as read- and writable.

If you don't want to use those drives with a PC anyway, you can also format it with HFS+, the Mac format. But that format is not even readable on Windows.

Little hint: When you format a HD with Disk Utility, you can select "MS-DOS filesystem", which will format the drive with FAT32.
QUOTE Thanks
drwhitley

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I thought that might be the issue. I will just format them and then recopy the data back to them. Thanks again!
Matthew
QUOTE Thanks
Jaysus

You can Partition an external drive, right? I was going to get an external and have it with a 100GB NTFS Partition and the rest FAT32 for my Mac, wasn't sure if that was possible though.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysus
You can Partition an external drive, right? I was going to get an external and have it with a 100GB NTFS Partition and the rest FAT32 for my Mac, wasn't sure if that was possible though.
If you do the partitioning with Windows, it's no big deal. But Windows 2k/XP have a size limit for FAT32...I don't remember exactly how much. I recenty wanted to format an 80GB HD with FAT32, without partitioning, and XP didn't let me go past a certain size...I think it was 20GB or 40GB.
Win98 though had no problem to format the whole 80GB in FAT32.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« dvd player no longer auto plays DVDs | Battery Life & waking from sleep mode »