New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

web browser

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shimanok2

shimanok2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.2gHz g4, 12 inch, 60 gig, 768RAM, bluetooth, ATI radeon 9200, macally bluetooth mouse, JBL speaker

this probably sounds terrible, but i can't figure out how to change my default web browser. i've looked all over. hmmmm.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

It is counterintuitive so do not feel bad. It is under "general" in Safari preferences.
QUOTE Thanks
ajresovsky

ajresovsky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.93GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon processor RuningSnoLeopard v 10.6.4 DDRe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimanok2
this probably sounds terrible, but i can't figure out how to change my default web browser. i've looked all over. hmmmm.
I think,,,
That Safari, top left on desktop, under 'General' Pull down menu!
Good luck!!

A-a-h Yes, A Computer without windows, is like a fish
without a bicycle, :mad:
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimanok2
What browser is your current default, and which do you want to change the default to?

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
shimanok2

shimanok2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.2gHz g4, 12 inch, 60 gig, 768RAM, bluetooth, ATI radeon 9200, macally bluetooth mouse, JBL speaker

hey thanks guys. so if i want to change my default from lets say, firefox to Camino, then i still have to do it under safari? kinda strange, huh? i changed it to firefox by the way.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Yep that's how you do it. The same goes for Mail programs also. You change the default in Mail. Has to be about the most "Microsoftian" type thing Apple has done in their OS. Really they should just have some kind of system preference for it instead.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Hmm, I wonder if they could be set via AppleScript. It would be pretty trivial to create s peference panel for it as long as it could be set via script and there is some way to populate the list...
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

Another thing I've noticed is that you can change the preferences through the Omniweb browser if you have that. So apparently this is an applicable preference you can put into any browser. By the way, is there anyway we could like, change the title of this to make it more apparent (Default web browser) or something, and put it as a sticky? I've seen this question asked more times than I can count, and I specifically remember asking this question on these very forums when I got my iBook a couple months ago.

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I use More Internet system preference pane:

http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/12849

It works great for me and it's something Apple should do in the future.. they way they do it currently is rediculous.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My Story, My Review | AdiumX »