New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Love my new iMac *wipes a tear*

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tiger roach

tiger roach has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz

My 3.06 GHz iMac arrived Saturday.

First impression: HOLY CRAP THIS SCREEN IS HUGE! My old 19" display looks like a smart phone by comparison. Also dim and dingy. When you first turn the new Mac on it plays a little movie for you, and my jaw was on the floor.

Over the weekend I managed to get all my PC files transferred, and installed Office and Voyager, my all-important desktop planetarium program, and everything appears groovy. I haven't yet tried to run the film scanner with it and I don't have the Time Capsule up and running for backups yet.

Early impressions:

- Seriously, the screen is amazing. Images just pop. I viewed a bunch of photos from last summer that I didn't think much of, and now think are pretty good shots.

- Things really do tend to work with less agony compared to a PC - for example, as soon as I had the thing running and talking to my router, I could see and transfer files from both my PCs on the network. (I never have been able to get our two PCs to talk to each other.)

- Performance is excellent so far on routine tasks. I love how macs start/restart so quickly. I will know more about performance after playing with the planetarium tonight.

- I am using Mobile Me to synch email, calendar etc. with my iPhone, and love it. I know some of you will scoff at me for paying a fee for that service, but having seen how easy it is to get going and how it works, there is no going back.

- I like the mouse. I read a lot of negative comments about the current Apple mouse on the 'net and was prepared to get a replacement right away, but now I am wondering what those people are smoking. Supposedly the scroll ball dealie gets dirty easily, and that could still end up being an issue.

Anybody need a 2004 3.2 GHz PC in an awesome aluminum Lian Li case?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

We could trade

for that iMac.

Have an '05, with 3.4, O/C's to 3.9 really nice, on air, with what was Antec's top of the line Aluminum case with removeable m/board. Even have 2x512 sticks of Corsair with heatsync's and pretty lights on them - cost me $350 back then for those 2 sticks.

Congrats on a nice machine.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
tiger roach

My PC memory was 2x512 Corsair originally, until they failed.

That was one of the frustrations that eventually led me back to Macs - the high-performance PC components, fast drives etc., seem unreliable IME.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Congrats. Glad you like it so far.

IMO, this book should be included with every new Mac. Even if you're relatively savvy, this is a great reference to not only the OS, but also the iLife suite. And it's an easy read that doesn't feel like you're reading stereo instructions.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
tiger roach

Cool, I'll look into getting that book. Thanks CWA.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2012 Non-retina MBP, 2.6GHz i7, 8GB RAM, Antiglare Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Congrats. Glad you like it so far.

IMO, this book should be included with every new Mac. Even if you're relatively savvy, this is a great reference to not only the OS, but also the iLife suite. And it's an easy read that doesn't feel like you're reading stereo instructions.

+1 on that book, I had switched, and everything was going fairly smoothly, but I had seen that book at Borders once and picked it up after reading a few things here, and it is awesome.

Especially when you need to fix simple things that aren't so simple when you don't know where to look The book has a ton of excellent info in it covering a huge quantity of stuff from osx leopard.

My Macs: 2012 Non-Retina 15" MBP; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
bam24609@sbcglo

bam24609@sbcglo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.66ghz 4GB Ram

Congratulations I'm glad you like your new mac, you'll grow to love it even more as time goes on and you don't have any problems with it.
Eric
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger roach View Post
- I like the mouse. I read a lot of negative comments about the current Apple mouse on the 'net and was prepared to get a replacement right away, but now I am wondering what those people are smoking. Supposedly the scroll ball dealie gets dirty easily, and that could still end up being an issue.

Anybody need a 2004 3.2 GHz PC in an awesome aluminum Lian Li case?
Just so you know, I loved my Mighty Mouse until that problem came up as well. I have two Mighty Mouse (or Mice), one wired and the other is wireless. Both gave me huge amount of troubles when it came to scrolling. The thing is that, like any mouse in the market, the scrolling part of the mouse always collects dirt, and the problem is that you cannot easily open your Mighty Mouse to clean everything out.

It will become a problem after some time, I can almost guarantee that. Most people can get the problem fixed by running the Mighty Mouse upside down on a piece of cloth a couple of times, but sometimes it just doesn't work. I, for one, tore out the bottom of the mouse and took it apart in order to fix the problem. I also voided the warranty of course, but I couldn't be bothered.

Anyway, just so you know. It's good to have a normal mouse as a backup though.
QUOTE Thanks
tiger roach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYkOoOoO View Post
Just so you know, I loved my Mighty Mouse until that problem came up as well. I have two Mighty Mouse (or Mice), one wired and the other is wireless. Both gave me huge amount of troubles when it came to scrolling. The thing is that, like any mouse in the market, the scrolling part of the mouse always collects dirt, and the problem is that you cannot easily open your Mighty Mouse to clean everything out.

It will become a problem after some time, I can almost guarantee that. Most people can get the problem fixed by running the Mighty Mouse upside down on a piece of cloth a couple of times, but sometimes it just doesn't work. I, for one, tore out the bottom of the mouse and took it apart in order to fix the problem. I also voided the warranty of course, but I couldn't be bothered.

Anyway, just so you know. It's good to have a normal mouse as a backup though.
If/when mine gets glitchy I will probably just get one of those fancy ergonomic wireless Logitech ones.

It is a shame that ball scroller is a weak point though, because it really works well. I like the feel of it.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely think it's time for Apple to make an aluminum bodied, multitouch mouse. I hope that's in the works. The Mighty Mouse is just really mediocre and long overdue for an update, IMO....

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Santino

Santino is on a distinguished road

I never got to plug my MM back when i bought my iMac.

Buying a Logitech MX518 back in my Windows gaming days was one of the smartest purchases i ever made. Plus the 2 side buttons come in handy, and i mean REALLY handy.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase, you are gonna have so much fun in the next few days, discovering every little trick an the Mac way of things.

Don't hesitate to post back with any issue you may encounter!

OFF: 200 posts, yay!

Intel iMac 24" 2.8Ghz / 4gb
PowerBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz / 1.25gb
2Gb Black iPod Nano 1G
Canon 30D, recently inherited!
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I definitely think it's time for Apple to make an aluminum bodied, multitouch mouse. I hope that's in the works. The Mighty Mouse is just really mediocre and long overdue for an update, IMO....
Oh yes, definitely. I don't even need it to be multi-touch, I just want it to be aluminum. To complete the overall look and feel, you know? But multi-touch would be great, replacing the ball altogether. However, the price tag is going to suck.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYkOoOoO View Post
Oh yes, definitely. I don't even need it to be multi-touch, I just want it to be aluminum. To complete the overall look and feel, you know? But multi-touch would be great, replacing the ball altogether. However, the price tag is going to suck.
Well, for what they charge for them now, I think they could easily integrated a touch sensitive surface that could do two-finger tapping for right click, one-finger for left, and two finger dragging for scroll. Done properly, it would be very intuitive and finally bring the multi-touch features to desktop Macs.

QUOTE Thanks
tiger roach

So you have in mind a mouse that scoots around on a mouse pad, but with a macbook-style touchpad on top instead of buttons and a scroll wheel? Hmm...
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger roach View Post
So you have in mind a mouse that scoots around on a mouse pad, but with a macbook-style touchpad on top instead of buttons and a scroll wheel? Hmm...
Exactly.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Spaces: Force an app to open in a specific space | What are some cool things I can do with my new Macbook Pro? »