New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Get PB 17 now or wait for PB G5???


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Eleven
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Basically the questions are:

1- Will there be a PB G5?
2- If so, when would it be?

I did my homework and found very nice deals on PB 17 G5 1.5/1Gb, brand new for about 500$ under the price of a not that superior 1.67.

I am about to buy but the eventuality of a PB G5 coming out right after I get a G4 is a concern.

I would be willing to wait a few more months (I have Macs and PCs desktops and PC laptop) if a PB G5 was to come this spring, if it's fall or only for 2006, I'll get a G4 and think about it again in 2006...

........
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

 
schweb's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 27, 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 13,198
schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

schweb is offline
Buy it now. The G5 Powerbook is no where close to being released.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
morningrise
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Even if (and I use IF very loosely) the PB g5 does come out soon after you purchase, it won't be released in a speed faster than 1.7-1.8 ghz, and will probably have some issues that they need to work out (most first gen models do) you'll have a nearly top of the line g4 powerbook which will rival that of the g5. I would go ahead and buy the g4, wait till the 2nd or 3rd rev of the g5 when it comes out... that should get you at least a year or so of life out of the g4, and then you can turn around and sell it for a reasonable price to put down on the g5.

Hope that helps
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Buy now, G5 may be coming out but it does not seem to likely in the immediate future. (Sounds like a magic 8 ball.)

Anyone want to lay bets on when it will be out? WWDC does not seem too likely so I was thinking Oct 2005 or Jan 2006. No basis on fact here, just pure speculation. A dual core G4 PB seems to be the better direction to me for portable use but I do not see that happening.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

 
Macman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 30, 2004
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,374
Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Macman is offline
yup, it will be very, very long before we see a g5 laptop, if at all. at best, we can expect a dp g4 laptop or dual core g4 laptop, but even thats sorta pushing it.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

 
schweb's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 27, 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 13,198
schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

schweb is offline
I'm guessing the earliest might be WWDC in 2006. Of course I could be surprised, but that's just what I'm guessing.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

 
Meyvn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 24, 2004
Posts: 726
Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

Meyvn is offline
Rofl, has anyone seen that one divisiontwo joke article about the lengths Apple would have to go to in order to build a G5 PB now?

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks
Eleven
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Do you like that one? :cool:

QUOTE Thanks
jessica
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I think the G5 will be out sooner than 2006, but not without major issues. Honestly, the g4 is hot as ****, I just can't see this g5 thing going well.
QUOTE Thanks
killer_bites
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I've had my new 15" for a few days now and it's great. I'm new to Mac's but used to pushing PC's with Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver ... usually all open and my new mac suprisingly copes very well.

I was waiting for a G5, but it's such a is it, isn't it i thought, bugger it - and to be honest, im not bothered now - the latest powerbooks are great and should easily cope with tiger and cope with most applications with ease.

I guess it depends what you want the powerbook for, but i doubt the new ones will be out for at least 6-8 months - if the rumours are in fact true.
QUOTE Thanks
i2oadi2unnei2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

LOL, Eleven, I've seen that pic so many times and everytime I look at it, it just cracks me up ROTFLMAO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Mac Mini Hard Drive Noise | Formatting an ibook g4 »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Now I have to wait another week for my iBook! Jordan Switcher Hangout 5 01-24-2005 05:26 AM
Cant Wait hustla Schweb's Lounge 12 12-09-2004 03:27 PM
Buy now or wait? kevrodg Switcher Hangout 6 11-10-2004 02:35 PM
Should i get an ipod now or wait? hill.ed iPod Hardware and Accessories 2 11-09-2004 09:45 PM
newbie Q - how to wait for keystroke in gcc/xcode ?? xr600 OS X - Development and Darwin 3 05-29-2004 02:37 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?