New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Scrolling with an iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DVD Guy

There are actually 2 immediate concers for me when I receive my iMac. The first is the lack of a scroll wheel on the mouse. When scrolling through pages, what do you do?

The second is the lack of a right click feature to cut, copy, paste, etc. How do you perform these functions and get used to the "new" way?
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

press control click for right click (believe it or not its really easy and you forget your doing it sometimes.

use arrow keys or space bar (i use and i have a 4 button mouse)

or just buy a kensington mouse or other 3rd party usb mice.

also, there are really easy to use key commands to copy and paste with out a 2nd button on the mouse, I for example have the 2nd button and use the key commands as much as possible.

command v to paste
command c to copy
command w to close
command q to quit
command p to print
command tab to change apps
command shift 3 or 4 to take a screen shot and then space bar to take of a specific app.

those are just a few off the top of my head. not to mention all the ones i cant think of but i use all the time.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

also, in safarit or firefox, page down srolls almost one full screen/page down, page up goes up in the same way, home takes you to the top of the page, end to the bottom. or buy a 2 button mouse with a scroll whewl.
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

The arrow keys are great for on line scrolling, up, down & sideways for those extra wide posts on some forums. Add the control key and and you can go back to the previous page or forward to the next with the sideways arrows. Control [ & ] are the usual keys used though.
A held left click will bring up the context menu on anything placed on the dock, control click gets to be a habit though.
Have fun with your Mac and if it gets to be too much of a problem grab a scroll mouse. :-)

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Don't copy and paste. Drag and drop.

Page Up/Page Down are another way to scroll. Or just get a scroll wheel mouse, as others have said.
[EDIT: There's also the scroll bar...I know, it's not as easy as having a wheel, but it really doesn't take too much time to grab the bright blue thumb and scroll.)
QUOTE Thanks
DVD Guy

I bought a two button mouse with scroll wheel. Can you right click with am iMac?

http://www.dvforge.com/themouse.shtml
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Sure.
QUOTE Thanks
DVD Guy

Thanks...this forum is great. Especially to us "switchers".
QUOTE Thanks
DVD Guy

Sorry...but just to clarify. Will a 2 button mouse with scroll wheel allow me to right click on a Mac just like a PC will?
QUOTE Thanks
edgefusion

edgefusion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram

A USB 2 button mouse will work on a mac just fine, the right click will work and so will the wheel.

QUOTE Thanks
DVD Guy

Thanks! As a soon to be switcher this is one of the things that have kept me away from Macs. Us PC users need to be more educated on the operation on Macs.

Thanks for the help!!!
QUOTE Thanks
warrenbert

As always, I swear by "Sidetrack". It's a shareware program (reasonably priced at $15) that enables pc-like functionality in your ibook touchpad (pre-2005 ibooks currently).

I love it. I can scroll, right click and have custom tapping areas. Easier than connecting a mouse all the time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« When do apple withdraw money from your account? | Streaming Video / TV »