New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

What to look for in a Mac...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DVD Guy

I am looking to purchase my first Mac and want a iMac G4 Flat screen. I will be using this computer for 60% web/email, 25% pictures/videos, and 15% Word and Excel documentation. What should be some of the features I be sure to get.

For example...
800mHz? (more or less)
256 or 512 RAM or larger?
40 or 60 Gig or higher?
Which operating system and what version?

Should I get a gently used one from eBay or a refurbished one from a retailer?
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

800 is mine, and to be honest its getting slow, i hope tiger makes it a lil faster.. MORE RAM THE BETTER, HD of 60 isnt bad, 40 isnt either, you can always buy a FW external.

OSX10.3+

oh and get a refurb if you can.
QUOTE Thanks
cadsmn

Processor: G4 1.25 Ghz
Ram: 512 is a minimum
Drive: 60 Gig HD

I would recommend getting the superdrive if you can afford it. I would also recommend adding Blue Tooth and an Airpoirt card too.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

My suggestion would be to determine your budget, then select the best machine that fits within it.

An 800 MHz G4 will be decent, though a faster processor will obviously provide improved performance. The later versions had differences in VRAM (32 or 64 MB) depending upon the model, which would also affect performance under heavy graphics use. As for memory, 512 MB is really the minimum you'll want to consider for good performance under OS X. Hard drive size is more dependent upon personal needs. I've only filled less than half of my 40 GB drive, while other users manage to fill much larger drives. You can always purchase an external drive if storage becomes an issue, but a even a 40 GB drive shouldn't be "cramped". OS X 10.3 (Panther) is the latest version of the Apple OS, and that would be my recommendation.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
DVD Guy

Great comments...thanks. I do plan to get SuperDrive and add AirPort if it is not installed.

Where is the best place to buy a refurbished unit?

My budget is around $1000.
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelSullivan

Lets see, can you expound on what kind of video/ graphics (pic) editing you'll be doing? Will you be surfing the web while editing ... lets say 25 pictures using photoshop? I do this routinely with a 755MHz/ 256mb ram laptop and it works just fine. Video editing is certainly going to make your machine more RAM and CPU hungry.

I'd say that 512mb RAM should be the minimum if your going to do any type of video/graphics editing as some of those programs just don't do too well without that much. Also, you might pop into a local apple store and try to do web surfing/word/graphics editing all at the same time. I only notice severe lag when I have three or four hungry apps open at the same time.

Aside from video editing, I think that 800mhz would be the minimum I'd settle for. For more extensive video editing, I'd get the fastest processor I could afford. Ram, I'd say that only under extreme circumstances would I accept 256mb RAM (otherwise your constantly paging). 512 should be the defacto minimum when video/graphic work is on your plate. I've worked comfortibly on a 30gig HD for a couple years, but I'm also not installing a lot of new stuff-nor am I using my laptop for gaming. Burning to CD is a great way to store rarely used files when you lack HD space.

Finally, used or refurb? I've used a refurb for about 6 or so years and I'd say it has no more problems than any new laptop. I wouldn't buy a used laptop or PC. Laptops are notorious for taking more physical wear and tear (READ: abuse) than PCs, and seem to pose more risk to the buyer. If you could buy a certified pre-owned, that would be the next best thing to try. Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
DVD Guy

Any other suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
DVD Guy

How will this configuration work? Which OS is this? Is there an upgrade available?

iMac 17in G4
1.25GHz
768 MB RAM
80GB Hard drive
Superdrive
Airport
OS 10.2.7 w/ Classic 9 (Small Dog refurbished, 1 year small dog warranty)
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Guy
How will this configuration work? Which OS is this? Is there an upgrade available?

iMac 17in G4
1.25GHz
768 MB RAM
80GB Hard drive
Superdrive
Airport
OS 10.2.7 w/ Classic 9 (Small Dog refurbished, 1 year small dog warranty)
I think this would be a very nice machine for you. OS X 10.2 is Jaguar, and the most current update for it would be 10.2.8. Of course, you could also purchase 10.3 Panther (a great upgrade from Jaguar) or even wait to buy 10.4 Tiger once it's released. Out of curiosity, what is SmallDog asking for this machine, as I couldn't locate it on their site?

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
DVD Guy

I bought the only one they had in stock. It was $1100 which I did not think was too bad because it also has a warranty, which I would not get from an eBay seller.

Since it has been refurbished, will I be able to add AppleCare?
QUOTE Thanks
DVD Guy

What are the major differences between Jaguar and Panther OS? I know Tiger is coming soon so should I wait if I decide to upgrade when I get my iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Guy
What are the major differences between Jaguar and Panther OS? I know Tiger is coming soon so should I wait if I decide to upgrade when I get my iMac.
Here's Apple's site regarding the Panther upgrades: http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatures

Panther also runs faster and smoother than Jaguar. However, if you'll be upgrading in the near future, I would certainly wait and purchase Tiger rather than Panther.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help with a .prn file | iRiver to iPod »