New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

creating short cuts? like on windoze

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pkny

pkny is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.

is it possible to create short cuts like windoze on osx?

thx
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

Yes, they are called aliases. You can make them like this:

Click once on the file/folder/application that you want to make a short cut to. Go to the finder and click on 'File' in the menu then go down to 'Make Alias'. Drag the Alias that you have just made where ever you like.

You can also drag things into the dock to make shortcuts.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkny
is it possible to create short cuts like windoze on ??

thx
Yes, there are two options. If you want the "shortcut" to be located in the Dock (the bar with the icons at the bottom of the screen), all you need to do is click on the application and drag it into the Dock. If you want to create the "shortcut" somewhere else (like on the desktop), simply click on the application, go to the the Menu bar at the top, and select File -> Make Alias. Once the alias is made, you can drag or cut/paste it anywhere you'd like. You can also use Command L to make the alias once you've selected the application.

LOL - You beat me to it, Bobbins. :mac:

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

not in os x, you need a 3rd party app, Spark
is the best to date, its really cool, works with applescripts, app controls like itunes, etc.any key combo you want!:mac:
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Yes they are called alias's

Ctrl Click and Make Alias

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Yes, but they are called Aliases Look for the options on the context menu (control click or right click) Lots of different ways to do it too, check help (command ? or menu)
Dragging any file / program from the finder to the dock (near the trash can) will make an alias there. Drag the whole applications folder there and make yourself a windows type start menu if you want too.
The Help in Mac is well written and worth reading.
Have fun

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

Aliases are a bit different from shortcuts, but they're close enough for me. I just use dock icons anyway.

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyvn
Aliases are a bit different from shortcuts, but they're close enough for me. I just use dock icons anyway.
Really? How are they different?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

I suggest you all try spark. aliases are good, but spark is a whole other level.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
not in os x, you need a 3rd party app, Spark
is the best to date, its really cool, works with applescripts, app controls like itunes, etc.any key combo you want!:mac:
Thanks for the tip. Downloading it as I type this!!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Opps, sorry for the dupe. Thought it did not send.
QUOTE Thanks
vbr2

vbr2 will become famous soon enough

Well if you're gonna "alias-ize" programs, you might want to consider downloading Quicksilver if you don't already have it.

Basically Quicksilver is an application that you can have automatically startup when you turn your mac on. It stays minimized either in the Dock or the Toolbar (I think that's what it's called) depending on your preferences. At any moment you can access Quicksilver by pressing Command SPACE, and a small rounded box will appear (you can change it's appearance). You then type the first two or three letters of the program (or file) you want opened, and it'll automatically display the program you want in icon form, and you open it from there. The program automatically hides when you either click on any window or the desktop (essentially anywhere), or after you finish opening a program using it. The interface is somewhat transparent, but you can change that to your liking...

I'm sure someone else can give you a better explanation

Here's a link in case you're interested:
http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple delivery times | editing hosts file on OSx »