New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mac running slow after upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PhillyEagles5

PhillyEagles5 will become famous soon enough

So I upgraded my OS from Pather to Leopard and my computer seems to be running slow. Is there anything I should have deleted in this process or should I check something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Upgrades always are complicated. Either clean install or Archive and Install the way to go.

For starters download the OS X.5.6 combo updater, install, and then run Repair Permissions. Leopard has a lot of work to do during boot and always take more time completing that process. How much memory have you installed in whatever model mac you are using?

Mac OS X 10.5.6 Combo Update
QUOTE Thanks
TxNoob

TxNoob is on a distinguished road

Yeah, need to know the system specs. CPU type/speed and memory.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

1. It may be due to the first run of the Spotlight indexer. Spotlight will take some time to crawl through and index all the files on your disk.

2. Part of it, though, is that Leopard is just a more complicated and demanding OS than Panther. On any machine that originally shipped with an older version of OS X, a Leopard upgrade will make things somewhat slower. That's why many people don't recommend a Leopard upgrade for certain older machines.
QUOTE Thanks
PhillyEagles5

OK - here are my computer specs:

Machine Model - Power Mac G4
CPU Type - PowerPC G4 (2.1)
CPU Speed - 933 MHz
L2 Cache - 256 KB
L3 Cache - 2 MB
Memory - 1.25 GB
Bus Speed - 133 MHz
QUOTE Thanks
bikalpapaudel

bikalpapaudel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch

Hmm.. The specifications are pretty old for a speedy Leopard system.

Like others, I would recommend a complete re-install. Then try out repairing permissions and some sort of slimming down. After time passes, you might want to carry out somesort of defragmentation.

Aluminum MacBook Pro 13", AOC 22" Full HD. iPod Touch, HTC Gene. Windows 7 on a dumpster.

Everest, Buddha, Gorkha.
QUOTE Thanks
PhillyEagles5

So how would I just wipe the entire hard drive and reinstall leopard? Also how do you defragment a Mac. I know how to do it to my windows laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
PhillyEagles5

So I noticed that when I went under System Preferences and clicked on Startup Disk Mac OS 10.5.6 is there but so is Mac OS 9.2.2

Can this be part of the problem?

What are the steps to wipe the entire hard drive and start from new? TY
QUOTE Thanks
PhillyEagles5

Any ideas?

How do you repair permissions? What should I get rid of to slim down?
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

I didn't think you could still have Mac Classic with Leopard, but I could be wrong. If your HDD is supporting two partitions, that was definitely slow things down, especially on your older hardware.

First of all, back everything up to an external drive - Your home folder and any applications you downloaded. Make sure you have everything safe. Then, as others have said, start the install process again with archive and install (this will double your backup protection) - or you could just wipe and install. But you really need to repartition your drive to a single partition, so OS 9 is not on there. I am sure this will be holding you back. If you don't use OS 9 at all anymore, and don't need any files, just remove it, otherwise if you do, you need to boot to it and put those things safe.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
PhillyEagles5

How do I set my comp to a single partition? How do I delete os 9?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
First of all, back everything up to an external drive - Your home folder and any applications you downloaded.
While I agree about the home folder, I would advise against backing up the applications. Simply moving applications from your current setup to an external and then back to the Mac afterwards may not work for some programs. Some programs will install files outside of /Applications so simply copying the .app package back and forth won't ensure that the application will work. I would advise reinstalling the applications once you have reinstalled OS X. Now, if you were talking about moving the dmgs/installers, I agree.

During the install process, you will have the opportunity to use Disk Utility to format your HD and delete all partitions currently set.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

The problem isn't that you are running OS 9, the problem is you are running 10.5 on a pretty underpowered machine. You have three choices:

1) Go back to 10.4

2) Buy a new machine.

3) Live with it.

My 1Ghz iBook G4 runs ok on 10.5 but not as good as it did on 10.4. For what I do with it (Mail and web surf) it's acceptable. for anything serious though, it would be worthless.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

As vansmith suggests format the hard disk drive getting rid of everything and if you wish zeroing the drive, then do a clean install of Leopard and update using the combo link.

Leopard does not co-exist with Classic period and your specs are really low end for Leopard so do not expect too much.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
I didn't think you could still have Mac Classic with Leopard, but I could be wrong. If your HDD is supporting two partitions, that was definitely slow things down, especially on your older hardware
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Leopard does not co-exist with Classic period.
It can if the drive is partitioned and the machine is capable of booting into OS 9. 10.5 can't run classic but the machine can still run OS 9 itself. That isn't the OPs problem though since his drive is partitioned. If he has 2 partitions and isn't using the OS9 one actively, the worst that will happen is spotlight will slow it down a bit as previously mentioned.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Shackle Widget | Multiple part question »