New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Is it legal to sell academic edition software if I sell it to a student?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

timtak

timtak is on a distinguished road

I have an almost new Power Mac MDD G4 with MS Office for Mac Academic edition. If I make sure that the buyer is a student (or other academic) by demanding that they email me from a university email address, then am I allowed to sell it second hand?

Or is it against the law to sell academic software second hand?
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

gagnerants is a jewel in the roughgagnerants is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro

I think as long as there is nothing printed on the disc or on the documentation saying that you are not allowed to do so. I have many software disks that I bought through my community college where I got them for way less than half price but they are only for me and that is clearly printed all over the disk. I think as long as it does not say I think you should be in the clear.
QUOTE Thanks
Khris

Khris has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

Best to read the EULA.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Here's a link to the EULA for MS Office 2008 Home and Student edition: Link

The way I read it, you may transfer it to a third party provided you remove it from your machine, do not keep a copy anywhere, and transfer all disks, keys, and documentation to the third party. Again, the way I read the EULA, the third party does not necessarily have to be a student.

But you need to read it for yourself and decide. Any questions, I suggest you call MS customer service and ask.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
timtak

timtak is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the link.

Yes, sale does seem to be possible.
"TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY. The first user of the software may transfer it, and this agreement, directly to a third party. Before the transfer, that party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software. The first user must uninstall the software before transferring it separately from the device. The first user may not retain any copies."

And ealier in the agreement it says
"You must be a “Qualified Educational User” to use software marked as “Academic Edition”"

So I can transfer to another user so long as I don't keep a copy (I'm a PC user so there is no danger) and the new user is a student.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Interesting.

Office 2008 is described as 'Home and Student Edition'.

Office 2004 is described as the 'Academic Edition' and as the wording mentions students and teachers, guess the answer is no to the former and yes to the latter?
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

In the real world, you can sell it to whoever you like.

Nobody will bat an eylid.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "Smart quotes" in MS Word for Mac | where to buy rain Mstand in Canada? »