New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

NVidia 9400M

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

casarticus

casarticus is on a distinguished road

As a potential new owner of a IMac 24" with the above mentioned graphic card I would be grateful to hear from others as to how good. I rang the Apple Store and was assured it is very good for gaming. I would like verification of this. How different is it to the better specced IMacs with dedicated graphics cards and is it so discernable. Thanking you in anticipation
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

If I'm not mistaken, the 9400M Apple uses for its MacBook and iMac is an onboard chipset with no dedicated video RAM, so logically it should be pretty weak compared to any dedicated vdeo card. It's certainly an improvement over the GMA chipset that was there previously in the MacBooks, but don't expect this thing to be able to handle games with very high system requirements. If you look at the comparison in the MacBook Pro:

Apple - MacBook Pro - Graphics - Advanced NVIDIA graphics processing power in a notebook

You'll see that it gets framerates up to 2.4 times worse than the 9600M, and that's only a mobile graphics card. Compared to pretty much any desktop class video card, the 9400M should be really bad.

If you look at the World of Warcraft forums:

World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> The WoW Performance Guide For Macs

You'll see that the specific model you're getting, even with settings turned down, only gets 20-30 fps in WoW, and that game isn't exactly new.
QUOTE Thanks
MacTrooper

MacTrooper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz

I dunno about the onboard graphics in the latest releases, but the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS in my five week-old iMac has no trouble with WoW or COD4. I have been very pleased.

 iMac 24"" 3.06GHz; 4GB RAM w/ Magic Mouse
 MacBook Pro 15" 2.53GHz w/ Magic Mouse
 iPhone 4 32GB
 iPod Classic 160GB
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

If you are gaming, you need the 9600M. Don't go near the 9400.
QUOTE Thanks
casarticus

Thank you to the members who have taken the time to reply to my question.
In particular i found the leads from Discerptor very helpful. I am very grateful to you all. Casarticus
QUOTE Thanks
Staszek

Staszek is on a distinguished road

Im not a gamer but I just couldnt bring myself to buy an integrated graphics card. I kept trying to talk myself into the base 24" iMac but I couldnt do it no matter how much I tried.

I ended up with the 2.93 version with the GT120 I dont need the GT130 (probably dont need the 120 either) but I think in the long run I will be happier that I spent the money now.
QUOTE Thanks
shfle

shfle will become famous soon enough

You could always look out for the previous model iMac, which had dedicated graphics, on the Apple refurb store and save youself a few quid in the bargain!

Or buy one from somewhere like PC World who never seem to have the latest models in anyway! LOL

Here's the link to the USA Apple refurb store (I'm guessing that's where you are, if not check on relevant country's store page) Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (U.S.)
QUOTE Thanks
Staszek

Staszek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shfle View Post
You could always look out for the previous model iMac, which had dedicated graphics, on the Apple refurb store and save youself a few quid in the bargain!

Or buy one from somewhere like PC World who never seem to have the latest models in anyway! LOL

Here's the link to the USA Apple refurb store (I'm guessing that's where you are, if not check on relevant country's store page) Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (U.S.)
Yea thats a great option, I almost bought the refurb version, but I wanted the faster ram and larger hard drive. But if I didnt I would have bought one of those in a second!
QUOTE Thanks
bikalpapaudel

bikalpapaudel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch

But apart that, the iMac 24" with 9400m is a excellent value, and it caters to the needs of many. You could do all the normal work, make movies, some modeling as well, surf web, music.. watch hi-def on the enormous 24" Full HD screen. Gaming? Not so much, but do-able for casual gamers.

Aluminum MacBook Pro 13", AOC 22" Full HD. iPod Touch, HTC Gene. Windows 7 on a dumpster.

Everest, Buddha, Gorkha.
QUOTE Thanks
casarticus

Real honest talking, Thanks to all you guy's
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Has Locked Me Out of All My Drives | Shackle Widget »