GTwinkie
    Using a PC CRT Monitor with the iMac G5?
    Guys... I have a 17" CRT monitor from my old PC that's just sitting on my desk next to my iMac G5. Just wondering if there is a way to hook up that CRT monitor to my iMac and have a second monitor.

I saw the Apple VGA Display Adapter on the Apple Store site, but it says it is for the "iMac flat panel"... I assume that means the older iMac, not the G5?

Thanks in advance everyone!

VNL.

meltbanana314
    Yes, you can use a VGA monitor with your iMac. iMac flat panel means any iMac but the G3 iMac (egg shaped) I believe.

Connect the monitor to your iMac, and get Screen Spanning Doctor to enable extended desktop mode: http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    You need the mini-vga -> vga adapter for it to work and then the screen spanning hack
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

GTwinkie
    That's great news guys!

trpnmonkey41... I looked on the Apple Store site and didn't see a mini-VGA > VGA adapater.

Did you mean the Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter?

... or did you mean the Apple VGA Display Adapter?

Thanks again guys!

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    It is the mini-dvi I was just getting ahead of myself in my first post and typed vga twice. IF you look on the back of your iMac you will see the top to ports are line in and headphones. the next one is the mini dvi port
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

GTwinkie
    Hey trpnmonkey...

I went into the Apple Store today to buy the Mini-DVI to VGA adapter and explained that I was looking to do a dual monitor setup (which I failed to mention to you guys in my original post). He said that it won't work. With the Mini-DVI to VGA adapter, he said all I could do is duplicate what's on my iMac on the CRT monitor and that it won't support dual monitors to expand my workspace.

Was he right?

Thanks!

VNL.

meltbanana314
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwinkie
    Hey trpnmonkey...

I went into the Apple Store today to buy the Mini-DVI to VGA adapter and explained that I was looking to do a dual monitor setup (which I failed to mention to you guys in my original post). He said that it won't work. With the Mini-DVI to VGA adapter, he said all I could do is duplicate what's on my iMac on the CRT monitor and that it won't support dual monitors to expand my workspace.

Was he right?

Thanks!

VNL.
    He's ignorant of the Screen Spanning Doctor app.
    The iMac (and iBook) can have the capability to use two displays for a dual monitor setup. However; Apple locks down the firmware on the iBook and iMac so they only *appear* to not support screen spanning.

The Screen Spanning Doctor fixes that, by opening up the firmware and changing it so you can use two displays in screen spanning mode.

GTwinkie
    Thanks meltbanana.

What is the Screen Spanning Doctor app? Where can I get it? For purchase? Shareware? Is it a Script?

Thanks again! Glad to hear it might still work!

VNL.

GTwinkie
    Nevermind! Just found a great explanation in this article:

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/edit...ning/index.php

Thanks again meltbanana!

B Walt
    iMac and CRTs
    Quote Originally Posted by meltbanana314
    He's ignorant of the Screen Spanning Doctor app.
    The iMac (and iBook) can have the capability to use two displays for a dual monitor setup. However; Apple locks down the firmware on the iBook and iMac so they only *appear* to not support screen spanning.

The Screen Spanning Doctor fixes that, by opening up the firmware and changing it so you can use two displays in screen spanning mode.
    I plan on usind a 19" LaCie Blue monitor with my G4 iMac. Should I be concerned about the graphics card?

I plan on using a 19" Lacie Blue monitor with my G4 iMac. Should I be concerned about the ability of my graphics card to drive this monitor? Will the refresh rate be suffcient ?

B Walt

code777
    what is the purpose to do this on a "consumer" level? Just curious what you guys use it for. I've seen recording studios use screen spanning with PowerMacs and same goes for graphic designers. My friend uses screen spanning for video editing on his iMac G5 using a Sony LCD and it is pretty cool... but just curious what you guys use with this feature.

Specs:
    i dont have no mac's
    i love my dual displays because i can use one monitor for aim/email/other stuff and the monitor on my PB for typing, webbrowsing, and other stuff....

when im doing reports and doing internet research on proquest and stuff like that i can have the pdf article on one screen and openoffice on the other screen.

expose kind of eliminates the need for a second monitor because it is so easy to find your stuff....but ever since i went dual monitor i havent been able to really function without it
    -chris

Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwinkie
    That's great news guys!

trpnmonkey41... I looked on the Apple Store site and didn't see a mini-VGA > VGA adapater.

Did you mean the Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter?

... or did you mean the Apple VGA Display Adapter?

Thanks again guys!
    You need an 'Apple VGA display adapter' as the plug on the back is a Mini -VGA and not a DVI.

Thread Information